cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning SAP Basis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I was hired to be an SAP Basis Engineer, however, I have no prior experience in SAP. I have spent the last week reading SAP administration books from SAP Press, browsing the internet for information, and asking various coworkers for their advice in learning how to complete job tasks.

Starting my second week of learning Basis, I am still unable to find the SAP Mini Basis system I have read about online. It seems that the trial software was available a few years back, but since then all the links have died. I would like to download this software so that I can get experience with the actual SAP GUI and or configuring a system even if it is only a limited and simplified version. Is there still some form of trial software out there that I can get? I understand that learning such a complicated system takes time. However, I feel like the ability to work in a test environment of some sort such as the SAP Mini system would be extremely beneficial to solidifying my knowledge in various areas.

In the event there is truly no visualization software or other way to get practice with the software, does anyone have any other recommendation for learning how to administer and implement SAP NetWeaver and its components. Right now, I am reading the SAP AS ABAP - System Administration book from SAP Press. The book is giving me a good conceptual understanding of the system and its' components. However, as I said I feel like I am missing some of the resources to truly absorb a working knowledge of the system.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi jim,

You just had a cup of water from this sea.

SAP Basis is huge.. it's endless..

We all started somewhat in the same manner and it takes time to imbibe how all this work.

My suggestion for you would be that you start monitoring system with your colleagues and learn some database administration. Also, learn to use f1 and f4 keys.

Give yourself sometime and welcome to basis.

Regards

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Divyanashu was right and Try to practice on sandbox systems.you will get an idea.

Regards,

Deva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where there any other activities besides shadowing my coworkers that were helpful to you when you were learning SAP Basis and NetWeaver components?

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need a landscape and real situation to learn and understand how all works. You cannot create any virtual environment or install any application can actually give you a real insight.

Forums like scn and places like help.sap can provide you some good learning. I believe that with time you will get real scenarios to test and develop new skills.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Jim,

Check out first ,what is the Database and OS will be where you will start your project related work.According to it ,you can start reading books and forums.But I too support other ppl who suggested you to try in Sandbox or IDES which will give u some idea and from my point of view ,until and unless your start working and getting issues in real time ,then only you will have better experience.

Basis is never ending !!!

Thanks

Asim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are there any videos you can recommend, where I can watch someone doing administration tasks or otherwise using the system?

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are so many place where you can watch videos. Youtube is the best place start from. Sametime, refer TADM books for building your skills.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

How did you land an SAP Basis Engineer job with no experience??

Regardless...throw away those press books.

As others said, concentrate on what OS and DB you are on. Using your S-ID, download the manuals for the products. Don't get too carried away yet, Netweaver product line is huge. I would say for now if your serious about basis, stay out of SOLMAN until you get your foundation of the ABAP stack in basis.

Start by reading, get the Software Provision manager 1.0 for your OS and DB. Read that. Get the concepts behind an installation and types.

look here for tons of material./ SAP Help Portal – The central place for SAP documentation

I would read this section SAP NetWeaver 7.3 – SAP Help Portal Page

Simple concepts on knowing what versions you are, how to tell, understanding netweaver stacks.

Learn the PAM http://service.sap.com/pam

Oh man...its so big....good luck..use the forums..use google..

I personally had a server/networking background and was sent to SAP Academy for 5 weeks and too basis boot camp...kick started my career...but today im considered a senior Basis yet still so much I don't know..its just that big..

good luck

former_member206857
Active Participant