cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase trace for gateway on ASCS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

I have a doubt , i need to increase the trace only on the ASCS instance for the gateway and not on all the application servers, is there a way to do to.

SMGW increase trace option would only perform on the particular application server right.

rdisp/trace if we increase it will increase the trace for dispatcher as well right which i dont want to do it.

Another option is to change in ASCS profile will it require restart if we change it manually and not from SAP level.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ImtiazKaredia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

A/SCS instance never has a Gateway.

Gateway is part of an application server and trace needs to be activated on application servers.

Or may be I could not interpret your question. Please clear what is exactly needed.

Thanks

Imtiaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys ,

We have a gateway , it must be the standalone gateway.

Former Member
0 Kudos

According to the link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp3/helpdata/en/31/42f34a7cab4cb586177f85a0cf6780/frameset.htm

it says that ASCS doesnt has a gateway but we have it.

ENQHISOVR             dev_enqlisten         dev_enrepsrv.old      gw_log-2011-07-26     gw_log-2012-11-04     gw_log-2014-06-01     sapstartsrv.log

ENQLOG99              dev_enqlisten.old     dev_ms                gw_log-2011-07-27     gw_log-2012-11-18     logsave.bin           sapstartsrv.old

INSTSTAT              dev_enqrepl           dev_ms.old            gw_log-2011-08-20     gw_log-2013-04-07     ms.sapP11_ASCS75      se.sapP11_ASCS75

available.log         dev_enqrepl.old       dev_rd                gw_log-2011-09-16     gw_log-2013-05-05     sapcontrol_logon      stderr0

co.sapP11_ASCS75      dev_enqsig            dev_rd.old            gw_log-2011-10-09     gw_log-2013-08-18     sapcpe_base.log       stderr1

dev_enqadm            dev_enqsig.old        dev_sapstart          gw_log-2011-11-06     gw_log-2013-09-08     sapcpe_sapcrypto.log  stderr2

dev_enqadm.old        dev_enqsrv            en.sapP11_ASCS75      gw_log-2011-11-20     gw_log-2013-10-20     sapcpe_scs.log        stderr3

dev_enqio_0           dev_enqsrv.old        enquelog              gw_log-2012-02-12     gw_log-2013-11-03     sapcpe_scs.old.log    stdout0

dev_enqio_0.old       dev_enqwork           er.sapP11_ASCS75      gw_log-2012-02-19     gw_log-2013-11-17     sapstart.log          stdout1

dev_enqio_1           dev_enqwork.old       gw.sapP11_ASCS75      gw_log-2012-05-06     gw_log-2014-02-16     sapstart0.trc         stdout2

dev_enqio_1.old       dev_enrepsig          gw_log-2011-06-04     gw_log-2012-06-03     gw_log-2014-03-09     sapstart1.trc         stdout3

dev_enqio_2           dev_enrepsig.old      gw_log-2011-06-25     gw_log-2012-07-29     gw_log-2014-04-06     sapstart2.trc         work2.tar

dev_enqio_2.old       dev_enrepsrv          gw_log-2011-07-23     gw_log-2012-09-30     gw_log-2014-04-10     sapstart3.trc

you can clearly see that we have a dev_rd and an active gateway process running.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Please check in dev_rd, with which profile it is running, is it the same profile like for ASCS instance?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi alwina,

thanks a ton for the quick response.

does it write as to which profile is being useed.

---------------------------------------------------

trc file: "dev_rd", trc level: 1, release: "721"

---------------------------------------------------

Sun Jun  1 02:57:58 2014

***LOG S00=> GwInitReader, gateway started ( 38142038) [gwxxrd.c     1758]

systemid   324 (IBM RS/6000 with AIX)

relno      7210

patchlevel 0

patchno    45

intno      20020600

make       single threaded, Unicode, 64 bit, optimized

pid        38142038

gateway runs with dp version 137000(ext=119000) (@(#) DPLIB-INT-VERSION-137000-UC)

gateway (version=721.2012.12.03)

gw/reg_no_conn_info = 1

gw/local_addr : 0.0.0.0

gw/sim_mode : set to 0

***LOG S1I=> GwSetSimMode, Simulation Mode deactivated () [gwxxprf.c    3944]

* SWITCH TRC-RESOLUTION from 1 TO 1

switch off alert monitoring

Bind service sapgw15 (socket) to port 3315

Bind service sapgw15s (socket/snc) to port 4815

GwIRegInitRegInfo: reg_info file /usr/sap/P11/ASCS75/data/reginfo not found

GwPrintMyHostAddr: my host addresses are :

1 : [<ipaddress>] <hostname> (HOSTNAME)

2 : [127.0.0.1] loopback (LOCALHOST)

3 : [<ipaddress>] <hostname> (NILIST)

4 : [<ipaddress>] <hostname> (NILIST)

5 : [<ipaddress>] <hostname> (NILIST)

Full qualified hostname = <hostname>

WLM Tag 'P11/GWY' successfully set for this process

GwDpInit: not attached to gw_adm

Sun Jun  1 04:54:45 2014

***LOG S23=> GwIDisconnectClient, client disconnected (085) [gwxxrd.c     10547]

***LOG S74=> GwIDisconnectClient, client disconnected ( peplap00) [gwxxrd.c     10558]

***LOG S0R=> GwIDisconnectClient, client disconnected () [gwxxrd.c     10575]

***LOG S0I=> GwIDisconnectClient, client disconnected ( Xse-idoc) [gwxxrd.c     10588]

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello sap basis,

many thanks. No, I do not see, which profile the gateway use, but since according to the trace gateway is searching for reginfo file in  /usr/sap/P11/ASCS75/data directory, the gateway is really configured to run in ASCS. Probably this is a setup as described in the note 1010990?

1010990 - Configuring a Standalone Gateway in an HA ASCS instance

You have only 2 possibilities to increase the trace level of the gateway - either by setting of parameter rdisp/TRACE=2 in the profile, which gateway is using. If your setup is as per note above, this should be the ASCS instance profile and this parameter will increase trace level also for all other processes of the ASCS instance and a restart is required. Or you can send "kill -USR2 <pid>" on OS level at runtime only to the gateway process.

Since you have mentioned you need to trace everything incoming in message server gateway trace will not be helpful here, because gateway does not communicate with the message server.

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

then what is the need for the gateway on the ASCS host ?

Do you really require a gateway on the ASCS when the message server can talk to the external world.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

gateway is needed to start external programs on the server where ASCS instance is running. If a database running on the same server  the gateway is needed when you execute a database job in DB13 in the SAP system (for example).

Former Member
0 Kudos

No Actually our architecture is like this , we have ASCS on cluster , database is on another cluster not on the same as ASCS and then we have application servers non clustered obviously.

Is there any requirement to start the external programs on ASCS if we dont have database on the same cluster?

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

then the gateway on ASCS instance has this purpose as described in note 1010990:

"RFC-Client programs (external programs and SM59 ABAP connections)
connecting to a high-availability ABAP system need to use load balancing
in order to connect to one of the non-clustered ABAP servers of an SAP
system."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alwina,

Thanks a ton, we finally decided to increase the trace on PAS and AAS servers which had been affected and were able to find out the root cause.

Thanks for the amazing support.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello sap basis,

but an ASCS instance does not have a dispatcher and gateway...Is it a standalone gateway?
You can increase trace level by sending "kill -USR2 <PID>" on a unix server to the process, please have a look at the note "112 - - Trace and error information in the "dev_" files" for more information.

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alwina,

As i have said earlier i have an ASCS instance i want to increase the trace for the same. ASCS does have a gateway or else message server cannot talk to external world. You can check the same by checking for the gateway process.

rdisp/trace would increase the trace for other stuff as well right.

Dispatcher i was referring to application server instance.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello sap basis,

message server does not need a gateway to talk to external world, it communicates with the dispatchers of instances. You can always increase a trace level of a SAP process on OS level as described in the note 112

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/112

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

But i have a gateway on my ASCS instance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

Thanks a ton , one doubt

rdisp/TRACE_COMPS is there a value for the gateway

rdisp/Trace =2 i will set it , but it will require a restart of the ASCS instance right.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My requirement is simple i just want to trace everything incoming into the message server.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

but gateway can never be a part of ASCS instance. Sometimes it is required to install a standalone gateway to start external programs like sapxpg on the server where database or ASCS instance are running. ASCS instance includes message server and enqueue, it does not have dispatcher with work processes and it does not have a gateway. Such standalone gateway has its own profile, where you can set parameters only for this gateway.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

then you should increase the trace level for message server and not for gateway, rdisp/Trace =2 will increase trace level also for enqueue process if you set it in the ASCS instance profile