Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IND780 Intergration with SAP MII

Goutham_G
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Greetings.

previously,I have done integration with MES system but i have a new requirement to Integrate Mettler Toledo IND 780 with Ethernet/IP communication.

I have visited the plant and this is the process they follow.

They have connected the Terminal to a PC and they send orders to the Terminal by uploading the excel file to a batch program and retrieving data to excel file by connecting to terminal.

I have gone through the blogs have know that Mettler Toledo IND780 uses SQL CE database to store data.

Can SAP MII directly connect to SQL CE database which is embedded in Mettler Toledo IND780 for data querying ?

Please guide me

Appreciate your help

Goutham

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Goutham,

According to the documentation available from Mettler Toldedo, the option to implement Ethernet/IP also includes the option to implement Modbus TCP.  You can use Modbus TCP with an OPC Server that provides a Modbus TCP driver (Kepware or MatrikonOPC both have this).   SAP Plant Connectivity (PCo), and SAP MII are the SAP components needed to integrate the scale and the OPC Server to SAP MES or ERP systems.

Another option would be to implement the communications via the scale Serial Port if present. This would require an external Hardware Serial-Ethernet server to put the serial port on the plant network, and then PCo and MII for the SAP integration components.  there is an internal Ethernet port on the IND780 main board, but I did not investigate whether you can communicate with the scale using the same protocols as the serial port, If this is possible, then the Hardware Serial-Ethernet server is not required.

Either solution will require detailed knowledge of the communication protocols to determine the OPC Server,  PCo and MII configuration, and MII transaction requirements, to implement the interface.

I would recommend against trying to directly attach to the SQL CE database on the scale.

Regards, Steve

Goutham_G
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reply.

It looks complex for my experience because I have only done one implementation level 3 to level 4 from MES to ERP integration.

The plant i visited have only one terminal which is connected to a pc as mentioned earlier.They are sending the orders through excel file to the scale and again they are importing data to excel file after process completion.

The user wants to send orders from ERP to the scale and updated data from scale to ERP. So can i achieve this by implementing OPC server(OPC server to ERP and vice versa ). Can this be achieved by using pco and sap mii?

It looks like i need to study more on communication protocols to determine OPC server and PCO as i am new to these scales and have no knowledge on these scales.

Thanks for your wonderful help and sharing your knowledge.

Regards,

Goutham

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Goutham,

You are welcome, glad to be able to help.

I would expect that the PC connected to the scale has some software that handles a lot of the excel-->scale-->excel integration as well as the communications to the scale.  A Scope of Work and Functional Requirements document will be a necessity for you to evaluate the effort and the requirements.

Regards, Steve

Goutham_G
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Goutham.

Answers (0)