cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Data Guard logs shipping stopped

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All;

The server where my DR site is being hosted was down, and for that reason the database was not running. Once the server was up again I started the DR site database with mount state, and executed the command "alter database recover managed standby database disconnect from session" to recover all the logs and continue the shipping process from the primary database to the DR secondary database.

However when I run select thread#, sequence#, applied from v$archved_log; it does not show any new log being shipped. The last log file on the DR site now is the one on the same night when the server was down.

How can I reactivate the shipping process of logs, and be able to get all the required logs into the DR site.

Kindly note that all the required logs exist under oraarch on the primary database so I only need to ship them into the secondary database.

Best Regards

~Amal Aloun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Is the Listener running on the standby node ?

Are the logs getting shipped from the primary to the standby node ?

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Check below:

- Tnsping

-listener

- DEFER and ENABLE once log shipping from Primary with below commands -

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=DEFER SCOPE = BOTH SID='EC6';

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=ENABLE SCOPE = BOTH SID='EC6';

EC6 -> give your sid and crosscheck LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2 for your scenario before executing

then check SQL>Archive log list;              on both primary and standby

execute SQL> alter system switch logfile;     (on primary)

check logs are getting shipped on standby or not

Regards

Shri

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the status of log_archive_dest (2), if  it is defer then enable it and do alter system switch logfile on primary.

If it is already enable, then just do alter system switch logfile on primary database.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all;

The issue as Reagan suggested the listener was not running on the DR site. After I started it the logs started to go, and be applied to the DR.

Best Regards

~Amal Aloun

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear all

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In addition execute SQL query at primary end to switch logs to DR:

SQL>alter system archive log current;  (At primary end)

and after recovery at secondary end shutdown the DB and again mount the database to execute SQL query to keep DR in managed recovery mode :

SQL> alter database recover managed standby database disconnect from session;

Regards,

Gaurav

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Amal,

As you said

all the required logs exist under oraarch on the primary database so I only need to ship them into the secondary database.

Are these archive logs presents on secondary end also (Under /oracle/<SID>/oraarch),If yes then just mount your secondary database and execute below SQL to recover the secondary upto the current primary state.

SQL> recover standby database;

Opt option AUTO to recover secondary DB server.

After complete recovery you can execute necessary database queries to check the status of DR site.

One would help you SQL> select status,thread#,sequence# applied from v$managed_standby;

Also check with current log state by executing SQL>archive log list;  (Both side)

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Gaurav