Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early discussion on future plan to phase out Lumira for Windows 32 bit

som
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Lumira Users!

We would like to start open conversation with you about our future plan to phase
out support for Lumira for Windows 32-bit as early as 2015.  The intent of
this discussion is to understand better about how this might impact you and
allow both SAP and you as customers to make adequate plans.

We are working on a number of innovation initiatives to enhance analytical
capabilities and performance of Lumira.  It would make most sense to focus
our effort on 64-bit as well to re-direct future cost of maintaining multiple
versions of software to delivering on your business requirements.  We are
also noticing increasing number of software or technologies we require having
incompatibility issues or limitations on 32-bit platforms.

We are considering phasing out 32 bit support in 2H of 2015. Hence, I am reaching
out to you for early input. Can you share with us how this plan impacts your
existing or planned Lumira adoption?

• Are you currently or planning to go live with Lumira
    on 32-bit? What is the size of current users?
  • When do you think would be the earliest we can
    consider phasing out 32-bit support?
  • If your organization is standardized on
    32-bit, do you have plans by which you expect to move your users to 64-bit
    hardware/OS? When?
  • Any other feedback for consideration?

Please eel free to respond publicly or privately.

Thank you!

Sharon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Our organization is currently using Windows 7 32-bit.  I think there are some factors such as hardware refresh cycles still having some users in 32-bit hardware, along with other stuff corporate OS images just not being fully tested for 64-bit yet.

I don't know when our company will move to 64-bit fully, however in the meantime, we already have pockets of exception-based users who are running 64-bit OS images for other reasons that are driving them there such as the RAM ceiling we have with 32-bit, as well as MS Office Excel limitations with 32-bit.

My assumption is that for those who are consuming Lumira artifacts via the web either on Lumira Server or Lumira Cloud, that there really isn't any impact, and that those who are authoring this content are the analyst types, many of which either are already 64-bit for other reason mentioned, or have a toe in the water and this may be another factor that pushes them further.

som
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Awesome feedback with a great level of insights.

Thanks Michael!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Thank you for starting the conversation early, Sharon.

Here is our formal statement of direction and support on this:

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hey Sharon,

Is there any clarity on the outcome of this decision yet?    Is there anything you could formally share with the community?

I'm wondering if large organisations are ready to take their desktops to 64 bit without disruption.

Also, any word on MAC support?    it keeps coming up

Regards,
H

som
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Henry

Yes - Lumira 32-bit will get de-invested this year, meaning new capabilities like the BW acquisition will not be supported on that version.  Of course customers who bought Lumira 32-bit will continue to receive maintenance support until a certain period of time that is acceptable.  The overall communication on the plan is now driven by a couple of other colleagues and will be made public soon. Part of the plan also is to take advantage of the fact that we support Citirix and Microsoft Windows Remote Services.  The team that is preparing the plan is talking to several customers that are currently on Windows 32-bit to revise an acceptable plan and timing.

As for MAC support, we have not finalized the timing. But we are making progress.  At the moment, my top priority is to get BW acquisition mode out the door ASAP.  I think it will do really well to reduce a number of emails in my inbox.

We are going to rock this year!

Sharon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharon,

I under stand from the post that the developers working on Lumira would have to be on 64 bit machines, will the user community consuming the visualizations and stories be affected if they are on 32 bit machines?

_panda_

som
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Good question. No the consumers can view from a browser on either 32-bit or 64-bit platforms.

Thanks

Sharon