cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of app server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are migrating for Sun Solaris to Linux Red hat (OS migration). Our DB is currently running on Sun Solaris and will continue to be run on same platform.

CI installation is completed on Linux by one of my colleague and now i need to continue with installation of app server for that system.

They used tar untar method for migration of OS. I am aware of tar/untar only for full FS backup and can be used for platform dependent cases as most of executable on FS are dependent on operating system.

Can anyone of you help me to understand what all modification need to be made if i untar the Solaris executables and directory structure on Linux machine.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_NW70ehp2/helpdata/en/d3/c0da3ccbb04d35b186041ba6ac301f/content.htm?frame...

This link mentions only to take FS backup and uncompress on same operating system. I am aware tar is best way to keep the permission and file structure intact.

Or can i get some supporting link for this methodology to perform the OS migration.

Thanks,

Surojit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We will be migrating our all the system from Solaris to Linux by end of this year.

Current we are in phase of POC and trying do system copy data of one of our DEV system to Linux environment.

As DB platform is not changing hence my DB team did DB copy of DEV to create datatbase of my POC system (DVL). My colleague installed the CI on Linux by moving data from /usr/sap/DEV and /sapmnt/DEV in form of tar and recreated the trans manually.

As the tar contains the executable of Solaris env and the target platform is linux. So i am not sure what all My colleagues did in term of Kernel, profiles etc...(I think they changed all things manually)

Now i am supposed to do AI installation on Linux env(AI for system DVL) by same tar method. Now my understanding is i am not supposed to worry about /usr/sap/trans and /sapmnt/DVL as those are already created for CI. I just need to copy the data of DEV AI in form of tar and need to uncompress that in Linux environment,. and then need to do some manual changes.

Thanks,

Surojit

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

If I've understood you correctly you are moving the application layer (SAP CI and AS) from Solaris to Linux. The database will be running be running on Solaris and will not be moved.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. If the above statement is what the plan is then you are not doing a migration.

If the CI has already been set up on a Linux machine by manually creating or copying the directories, symbolic links and the profiles from the Solaris machine then connect to the Solaris and Linux machines and run these commands and compare the output.

su - sidadm

cdexe

./disp+work -V

Bear in mind that binaries are OS specific and compiled to run on supported OS.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

Yes you are correct, this is what we are trying to do. Can you please describe what exactly this method is. as per my understanding this is not SAP supported method. But i heard from some of my seniors that this method is one of the fastest way in term of homogeneous system copy. Although we are trying that for heterogeneous copy

Yes i already checked the binaries in my both system and they are different. DEV binaries are solaris specific and DVL are for Linux. My colleague didn't created the file structrure manually instead they created compressed form from Solaris i.e "tar" and uncompressed it on Linux platform and later changes executable and profiles manually.

In term of AI i can create 'tar' from DEV AI running on solaris and uncompress it on Linux(DVL AI) but what all steps i need to perform thereafter to make AI up and running in Linux?

Thanks

Surojit

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Surojit

This method is possible and I have don't it few times to create SAP systems on AIX. Based on what you have said your colleague might have archived the /sapmnt/SID and /usr/sap/SID contents into a tar file and then extracted them on the target machine. This will get all the directories and files including the symbolic links. If there is a change in SID then you need to recreate the symbolic links. After extracting the files they deleted the kernel files from /sapmnt/SID/exe and /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe locations and updated the Linux version kernel.

They didn't have to create the profiles as the profiles were present under /sapmnt/SID/profile of the source system and they just moved. If you are moving an existing application server from Solaris to Linux then /sapmnt/SID can be skipped as this was copied during the CI move to Linux.

Also you will need to install Oracle Instant Client on the Linux machine and configure the sidadm user.

819829 - Oracle Instant Client Installation and Configuration on Unix

The profiles of the application server should point to the correct message server.

You can easily avoid all the manual work if you do an application server installation using the sapinst.

Good Luck

RB

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

We are migrating for Sun Solaris to Linux Red hat (OS migration). Our DB is currently running on Sun Solaris and will continue to be run on same platform.

Then why there is a need for an OS migration?

If you have CI setup on Linux and if you are panning to setup an AS on the same server or on a different server then all you need to do is start the sapinst and create a DI.

You just need to mount the /sapmnt/SID file system.

I am concern even if i compress the file system and executable for app server from unix and and try to uncompress it here(Linux) all the executable will be of Solaris.

I don't understand this. You mentioned that the CI is installed on Linux then what files are you trying to compress from Solaris ?

If the CI is installed on UNIX and if you are trying to use the same kernel files for an AS on Linux then it will not work.

If this is not what you want then you may clarify your question.

Regards

RB

former_member184280
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Surojit,

Kindly proceed as suggested by Reagan.

That is the best and standard way to install AI's.

In case you are restoring UNIX file, there is lot of manual work involved and it is not advisable.

In case of errors troubleshooting it will again be a time consuming task.

Regards

- Avi

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surojit,

Please use SAP standard tool to install app server. It will be easy and is supported by SAP incase you land up with some issue.

To install the app server ,please share the /sapmnt/<SID>/profile on the linux server to begin with installation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your suggestion but i need to stick to previous method due to some reasons which is used for CI installation.

I am concern even if i compress the file system and executable for app server from unix and and try to uncompress it here(Linux) all the executable will be of Solaris. I am looking for what all things i need to change.....Kernel, sapcrypto, ITS executables etc....

Can you please give suggestion on the same.

Thanks

Surojit

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surojit,

I am concern even if i compress the file system and executable for app server from unix and and try to uncompress it here(Linux) all the executable will be of Solaris. I am looking for what all things i need to change.....Kernel, sapcrypto, ITS executables etc.

If you plan to copy only kernel files then no change required. As both share similar kernel files.

In SAP profile changes needs to be performed based on hostname.

Regards,

Deepak Kori