cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL Server Failover Cluster doubts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I´m newest in the world of MS SQL Server Failover Cluster, but for training I want to build a MS SQL Server Failover Cluster with two nodes! It´s possible to do that with VMWare machines or Hyper-V? I want to create this cluster for I can install a SAP system on a SQL Server Failover Cluster.

Can anyone tell me if I can make that in my own laptop with some virtual machines?!

Thank you,

samid raif

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samid,

There are 2 types of cluster configuration available with VMware. Guest failover clustering and  host failover clustering.

Refer to SAP note below for more details on the same

1374671 - High Availability in Virtual Environment on Windows

Can anyone tell me if I can make that in my own laptop with some virtual machines?!

Support on your laptop will depend on the OS installed on laptop and whether it is supported by SAP or not. Please check www.service.sap.com/PAM for more details on OS/DB support before you plan your setup.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak Kori,

First of all, thank you very much for your answer.

This is only for a test.

I have installed the VMware software in my computer and I installed two virtual machines each with the Windows Server 2012 (x64). My goal is make an installation of a SAP product (anyone... it´s just for testing the cluster mechanism in a SAP environment) on a MS SQL Server Failover Cluster in way to have the possibility to move the database and also the SAP resources between these two machines! This is possible or not? It´s possible to build this type of mechanism (failover cluster) on two virtual machines, because I believe for this I will need a virtual IP and other things...

Thank you,

samid raif

former_member211576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi samid,

Yes, I have been trained to install 3 virtual machines(another one is domain controller) in one PC before.

You can create multiple (virtual) NICs inside an VM.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samid,

It is very much possible to have cluster configuration using VMs. You need to follow the configuration guidelines relevant for such setup as per installation guide.

For eg:

- Use of virtual ips

- Use of virtual hostnames

- Cluster resource setup

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dennis Lee,

Thank you for your help.

I installed two virtual machines (using VMware), both with Windows Server 2012 (R2).

I following this URL:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn505754.aspx

But now when I tried to test the failover cluster I start the Failover Cluster Manager but at it show me the following warning:

To manage a failover cluster, you must be logged in with a domain user account. A domain user account is required because you need access to Active Directory Domain Services and to all servers in the cluster, including remote servers.

How can I solve this issue...? As you understand I don´t have an Active Directory installed because this is two virtual machines and each vm has a local users not domain users. So... how can I overcome this issue!?

Can you help me please?

Thank you,

samid raif

former_member211576
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samid,

You have to install windows failover cluster in a doamin and configure failover cluster using a domain account. You also have to configure an authorization with "create computer object".

Youtube Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CloUrfdBeFI

Step by step guide:

Failover Cluster Step-by-Step Guide: Configuring a Two-Node File Server Failover Cluster

1. Review the details about networks in Hardware requirements for a two-node failover cluster and Network infrastructure and domain account requirements for a two-node failover cluster, earlier in this guide.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dennis Lee,

Hum... damn. So, can I conclude that this type of project (for training) is impossible to build/create in a VMware at home, in my own computer (for training) ! Unlike someone here said, this is not possible to create at home because it´s a critical requirement to have a domain account... so this is impossible to have this type of configuration in my computer because I don´t have a domain (active directory).

Let me ask you a stupid question... it´s possible to create a domain in this type of scenarios?

Thank you,

samid raif

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes, you have to add a third virtual maschine with the active directory and the domain. Then join the two cluster nodes to this domain and you can setup your cluster. You should keep the domain isolated to the outside network, because you network group will not like it if another domain pops up in the network. You can do this by using private networks for the domain and the nodes.

Regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Clas Hortien,

Thanks. Can you guide me please in doing that!? Is there any document or site that explain step by step how to do that?!

Thank you,

samid raif

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry, but I don't know of any documentation describing this.

Best regards

Clas