cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro ABAP v/s BSP

Former Member
0 Kudos

These questions are for someone who have extensively worked on both Web Dynpro ABAP as well as BSP in the past.

(1) Will it be worth gaining knowledge on BSP since we already have now Web

Dynpro ABAP platform for web development ?.

Will it help to learn Web Dynpro ABAP if you have good knowledge in BSP ?.

(2) In release 6.0 we have Web Dynpro ABAP and with the availabiltity of Web

Dynpro ABAP do you think there will be any reason for people to go for

development using BSP ?.

Thanks in advance

Sandeep

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Web Dynpro ABAP

As the name suggests Web Dynpro for ABAP uses exactly the same meta model as its cousin Web Dynpro for Java. A Web Dynpro component, a Web Dynpro view, a Web Dynpro model, a Web Dynpro controller have the same semantics both for ABAP and Java. The main difference is the designtime environment, the development infrastructure and the runtime environment.

The designtime environment is properly embedded in the ABAP Workbench where Web Dynpro artifacts are simply a new category like BSP applications or classical dynpro based applications before. Also no surprises regarding the development infrastructure. The correction and transport system keeps track on all changes that are done, versions them and helps to propagate the Web Dynpro application from development to production like you would do with ordinary BSP or dynpro-based applications.

Last not least the execution platform is the ABAP server that produces application content ready to be integrated in the NetWeaver Portal seamlessly. Features like portal eventing can be used between applications written in ABAP or applications developed with Java.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Its definitely much more easier n faster to complete developments in WDA than using BSP.

But, WebDynPro screens cannot be compared with those of BSP ( + HTML/Java) in terms of funky screens, but good enough for Business Applications.

I would definitely say, these are the days of WebDynPro-ABAP. Better to pick up skills in WebDynPro before many others do & have it as a Skill..

Once CAF is rolled-out fully, WebDynPro-ABAP along with WebDynPro-JAVA, Visualcomposer, PHP will rule the days. Gone are the days of complex BSP developments...

PS: atleast, WebDynPro took me to Walldorf from B'lore on Proj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep ,

Answer 1) I will suggest to directly Switch it <b>WebDynpro for ABAP</b> .

I have worked in both areas WebDynpro For Abap and BSP.

Now why WebDynpro For ABAP .In my view BSP and WebDynpro ABAP are two distinct and Complex areas . So Instead of putting efforts and energy to explore BSP and trying to apply that Logic in WD ABAP won’t be right deal .

Now let me make you one thing clear . WebDynpro ABAP programming is much <b>more different experience than B</b>SP .It strictly follows <b>MVC</b> (Model View Controller ) .Not just that you need to have good sense of <b>OOABAP</b> classes and methods , interfaces etc.

May at time Achieving some functionality with BSP over<b> web will be easy deal</b> compare to same thing in WebDynpro ABAP .ut as your thinking in Context of WD ABAP will mature you will find it easier .

Answer 2) Ya there might be reason for going for BSP development .

In my view there are to possible reason

1) Based on current skill sets of SAP resources and Complexity of thing .Many time if less web Services are there and if you have existing BSP resources then its better for BSP development.

2) Amount you want use other things like HTML or javascript .You can more easily use things in BSP .

I will suggest you to go through following links

Hope I have cleared your doubts .

If yes Reward Points.

Cheers !!!

Parry B.

abhimanyu_lagishetti7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

SAP is coming with more new dimension products and technologies tools, so as to make developers life easy.

Webdynpro ABAP is latest in Web Technologies,

I think the future netweaver products will be developed in Webdynpro ABAP Framework.

If you know BSP you would appreciate the Design tools which are present in WDA, WDA makes life a bit easy, though you will not have much flexibility as you get in BSP. You can not write JavaScript in WDA

But i must say developing WDA consume much lesser time than BSPs.

The workbench is made of set of tools which makes it easy.

Regards

Abhimanyu L

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there have been numerous such questions in the SDN forums, just carry out a simple search in the forums and you'll find a lot of input.

Note that Web Dynpro ABAP is the new standard ABAP UI technology from SAP now. BSP, on the other hand, offers much more "freedom" in programming.

Regards, Heidi