cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFARIA 7 SP4 Hfx 8 Problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have installed Afaria 7 SP4 Hfx 8 and sometimes when we reboot the server, the afaria server service does not start. The error registered on server event log is:

Faulting application name: XMSGSERVER.EXE, version: 7.0.6398.0, time stamp: 0x52782d56

Faulting module name: XSUtils.dll, version: 7.0.6398.0, time stamp: 0x52783597

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000d804

Faulting process id: 0xabc

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf960907a1e696

Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Afaria\bin\XMSGSERVER.EXE

Faulting module path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Afaria\bin\XSUtils.dll

Report Id: 5f8840bd-01fc-11e4-a3c4-000c29594350

XRS4906: Service: Program 'XMSGSERVER.EXE' terminated abnormally. NT error code '0'. Afaria service not started.  EXPLANATION: Afaria process did not finish as expected.  ACTIONS: The NT Event Log or Afaria Log may contain more information.

The only way we find out to solve the issue is re-install the SP + Hfx for server component (the others components are just fine and does not stop working). Now this is not a normal behaviour, the last time we face this issue was when we were changing some RSOE configurations - we have in our configuration: "start Outbound enablers with Afaria Service". Anybody knows how to solve this issue?

Best Regards,

Mariana

CC:

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello...

Well I could not find the answer you wrote, but I got the email... In respond to your questions:

Q: Are you using Microsoft SQL Server, if so which version are you running?

A: No, I'm using SAP SQL Anywhere (formely ASA) versión 11.

Q: Are there any other changes that were made besides installing Hot Fix 8?  I am not aware of any specific XSDataServer problems with his patch..

A: Nop, the installation is new (not upgrade). We are installing and configuring relay also

Q: Are there any other additional related messages at the time of the crash in the Afaria Server Message log?

A: Nop, in fact the only thing is the services could not start...

Best Regards,

MC

nick_mackerness
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana

I removed my reply because I realised I mentioned XSDataServer when you were referring to XMsgServer and I didn't have time to re-type it yesterday.

Actually, XMsgServer is also related to the database, it is used to log our messages from Afaria to the logging tables. 

The most common causes of XMsgServer related issues are Microsoft Data Execution Prevention being set to 'protect' all programs and services and Anti-Virus On Access or Real Time scanning engines not excluding Afaria binaries on the server.  Is it possible either of these could be the cause?

Regards

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have checked and indeed the  XMsgServer is running with Microsoft Data Execution Prevention and we can not turn off this for the XMsgServer. In fact when we try to do this, the Afaria Server Service stopped and did not start again ( we had to do the workaround to fix it). The Antivirus is not affecting the service, we have checked this also....How can we solve this problem???

Best Regards,

MC

nick_mackerness
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana

When you say 'XMsgServer is running with Microsoft Data Execution Prevention and we can not turn off this', can you clarify what you mean?

Are you saying you have the option 'Turn on DEP for ALL programs and services except those I select' and you have then added the XSMsgServer binary to the list below?

Regards

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Yeap, I have "Turn on DEP for ALL programs ans services except those I select" (see image). But when i try to include "XSMsgServer" binary on the list, the system shows an alert saying i can not include this binary. After this the service crashes (because it happened before), and we had to run the workaround (which is a bit annoying)... Now today the service crashes right after we did a few changes on parameters through AdminUI, we try to re-start the server in order to make the changes take effect ... and the service crashes... so now the error is more often... what can we do in order to solve this?....

Regards,

MC

nick_mackerness
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana

Is it possible to select the option to 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only'?

At the moment, as you mention XMsgServer is subject to DEP and it would useful to eliminate this as a factor.

If not or if this does not make any difference, we would need to review the crash dumps and logs.

Would you be able to open a Technical Support incident through SAP Service Marketplace so we can do this?

Regards

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We tried to do that also last week when you mentioned... and the service crashed (stop and did not start)... we have opened an oss case with severity level high..  and sent to the support engineer, the logs he requested (server event log and afaria log) when the error occurs (today about 10am local time). The weird thing is why with the re-install of SP + Hfx for the server component, apparently make the service runs again?... As I told the support engineer... this is not a normal behaviour...

Best Regards,

MC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I think is a combination of two things: DEP and user account permissions. I'm monitoring the server and services to see if the problem occurs again... that is why I havent close the message ....

Best Regards,

MC

Answers (0)