cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information about SAP PPM needed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir or Madam,

my name is Jennifer Fassbender and I am working in the “Project Management Office” (PMO) of the research and development department (R&D) of ERCO. Our group serves as a cut surface in between the R&D and to other departments all over the company. Our team is in charge of the PLP (product launch process) which is one the leading processes at ERCO.

Currently we are using the SAP PS in our ERP system to plan and control our product development projects which belong to the PLP. We are working on a lot of different projects simultaneously, which makes a multi-project management necessary. Therefore we are thinking about implementing SAP PPM.

In addition to my job I am studying industrial engineering in part time at the University of Applied Sciences in Hagen. Right now I am writing my bachelor’s thesis. To combine study and job, the content and aim of this thesis will be something like “Development of an operational scenario to use the tool SAP PPM regarding to the design of a multi-project management within the R&D department of the ERCO GmbH”.

And this is the reason I am writing to you. I need a lot of information about SAP PPM.

Could you please be so kind and help me with the following questions:

1. Can you describe the (biggest) difference between SAP PS and SAP PPM?
  2. What might be the mayor reason to implement SAP PPM?
  3. What are the main use cases for SAP PPM?
  4. Are there difficulties to run SAP PS together with SAP PPM?
  5. Can you send me a detailed cost plan or license model?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Kind regards

Jennifer Fassbender

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer,

Answering to your questions-

1. Can you describe the (biggest) difference between SAP PS and SAP PPM?

In PPM, there are 2 areas, PPM-Portfolio Management and PPM Project Management. SAP PS can be compared with PPM-Project Management.

PPM-Proj, Mgmt. is mainly used for certain types of projects like Consulting, development & IT projects and User interface(UI) is very simple and user-friendly in PPM.

PS can be used in any type of projects but its full capabilities are used in capital Investment, overhead costs & customer projects. And moreover SAP PS has very good tight integration with all modules of SAP.

Overall both has it's own pros and cons. More details can be found the below links.

2. What might be the mayor reason to implement SAP PPM?

3. What are the main use cases for SAP PPM?

Major reason could be cross-project resource planning, portfolio management for better financial & capacity planning across projects etc.,

4. Are there difficulties to run SAP PS together with SAP PPM?

By standard, SAP PPM is having integration with SAP PS. Under Portfolio management we can use any of the project managements tools(PPM-Project management, SAP PS & MS Project) for detailing the project & resource planning.

5. Can you send me a detailed cost plan or license model?

Licensing terms varies for different customers, so it is better to contact your local SAP accounts manager for details.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ravi,

thank you so much for your answer and the information you gave me.

Regards,

Jennifer

Answers (0)