Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg: IDM MMC Access on Administrator's desktops/laptops

deepakkg86
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have installed and configured IDM 7.2 on windows 2008 server , Now we want to give access to IDM MMC to all IDM administrators on their laptop/desktops.

I am not getting any clue on how I can provide them access ?

Can you please help and let me know procedure for same ?

Regards

Deepak Gupta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

deepakkg86
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt / Peter/ Tero for your inputs.

I installed IDM Design time component in individual's desktops but not sure how should I connect to IDM serer now from MMC ?

I dont see Identity centre coming by default and seems I need to create one ?

Is it possible for your to provide me screenshots or give me steps ?

Thanks

Deepak Gupta

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deepak Gupta wrote:

I installed IDM Design time component in individual's desktops but not sure how should I connect to IDM serer now from MMC ?

I dont see Identity centre coming by default and seems I need to create one ?

Is it possible for your to provide me screenshots or give me steps ?

You said that you have installed IdM 7.2, does this mean that you have installed the MMC somewhere already? Copy the emsconfig.xml and keys.ini files from the working MMC to the other computers. If you don't have working MMC, just refer to the SAP documentation how to connect MMC to DB.

Like it's been said by others you should really think who needs MMC access and having the MMC at server accessible via remote desktop would be easier to maintain/work with than local copies.

The keys.ini file is important, it must be the same file between all IdM software components (Portal hosting the UI, VDS and all MMCs your development team accesses) connecting to the particular Identity Center instance.

regards, Tero

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

deepakkg86
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Tero

After replacing emsconfig.xml file, I am able to access IDM MMC from individiual desktops.

By the way, Is it possilbe to restrict access of IDM MMC (Read/write , Read only) ?

Regards

Deepak Gupta

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deepak Gupta wrote:

Thanks a lot Tero

After replacing emsconfig.xml file, I am able to access IDM MMC from individiual desktops.

By the way, Is it possilbe to restrict access of IDM MMC (Read/write , Read only) ?

You would need to create additional database user that can only run SELECTs.

regards, Tero

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can your guys get remote desktop access to the server? How large is the team? With admins do you mean strictly admins or also developers? It's possible to do development with MMC installed to your own computer as all the work is saved to / queried from database but it gets tedious at some point where you need access to OS/disk or you need to start/stop dispatchers, much easier to do that by workin in IdM-server.

regards, Tero

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

With IDM 7.2 and the MMC console, you must install the Designtime component on each administrator's console and then set up their connection to the needed environments.

Note that it is not a good idea to have multiple people working on the same bit of configuration at the same time and to do all possible work via the Web UI and Admin Web UI. (http:xxxx:50000/idm/admin)

Version 8 will use an Eclipse based console that will have more access control and functionality.  From what I understand it will be available this fall.

Matt

peterwass
Explorer
0 Kudos

I agree with Matt - most admins should never need access to the console.  The web interface should probably be fine with a small group that can actually edit tasks etc.

Giving everyone access is just begging for a drag and drop disaster...

Peter