cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP system installation with old <sid>adm user

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a client system which had an existing system installed with SAP SID lets say SSMADM, on a Windows 2008 server.

Sometime back, they un-installed this SAP system and installed a new system on the same server with a different SID, say SMP.

Unfortunately, they had started the installation with the older sidadm i.e user SSMADM

Now, they have a system running with a new SID and all SAP services are running under local user "SAPServiceSMP" (as expected).

The administration tasks including oracle administration are however performed with the old user i.e. SSMADM

Can you please suggest on how can I fix this by changing the user id from SSMADM to SMPADM

Note: Since <sid>adm user is created during installation, I can see a local user SMPADM on the server which is a member of groups
administrator, ORA_SMP_DBA, ORA_SMP_OPER, SAP_LocalAdmin, SAP_SMP_LocalAmin

They plan an upgrade and somehow not sure if that will go through smoothly with the current set-up.

Can I simply adapt environment variables from SSMADM to SMPADM and then test start / stop processes after locking the old <SID>ADM user SSMADM?

If that doesn't work, I plan to perform a homogeneous system copy to a new server by exporting the database.

Request you to share your thoughts.

Thanks.

AJ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

patelyogesh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can create AD accounts and group manually and change SAP services to run using new accounts.

Accounts and AD Groups you needed as below...

1. Create users <sapsid>adm and SAPService<SAPSID>

2. Create new global group SAP_<SAPSID>_GlobalAdmin

3. Add users <sapsid>adm and SAPService<SAPSID> to the newly created group SAP_<SAPSID>_GlobalAdmin.

Regards,

Yogesh

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Modify the environment variables of the smpadm in the way ssmadm is right now and see whether the database administration is possible using smpadm user.

If required recreate the OPS$ users.

Lock the ssmadm user and make sure all SAP and Oracle services are running under SMP users.

Start the database and do an R3trans check and if the return code is 0000 start SAP.

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you have No issue.

Recommendation is to run sapinst with a user of Administrators group. As old sidadm SSMADM was part of Administrators group, everything should be All Right.

The administration tasks including oracle administration are however performed with the old user i.e. SSMADM

are you not able to perform administration tasks with SMPADM ? It should work.

Can you please suggest on how can I fix this by changing the user id from SSMADM to SMPADM

Note: Since <sid>adm user is created during installation, I can see a local user SMPADM on the server which is a member of groups
administrator, ORA_SMP_DBA, ORA_SMP_OPER, SAP_LocalAdmin, SAP_SMP_LocalAmin

I  think here also, environmental variable will be similar.. and SMPADM env should be correct as your system is running.

In your system, you have just extra sets of Users left out.

Do you have any problems currently ?

best regards

ashish

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Basis,

Unfortunately, they had started the installation with the older sidadm i.e user SSMADM

Firstly performing SAP installation using any sidadm user is not recommended as it may not be able to install all the components correctly. Installation has to be performed with users having Administrative rights on the server.

Suggestion here would be to re-install fresh either using system copy method (Export/import) or backup/restore using Administrator user.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the system has been in use for more than 2 years hence we cannot scrap the system.

I agree that the installation needs to be done with user having administrative rights, but given that the installation was done with a user that had administrative rights and the new system installed was for the same SAP product, there have been no issues reported with regards to inconsistency during installation.

Just wondering if there's an easy way out by changing user groups and assignments.

Thanks.

AJ

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi AJ,

Just wondering if there's an easy way out by changing user groups and assignments

You need to create the new users and user groups.

Assign the new users to this groups

Re-create the SAP services and assign these new user to these users

Adapt environment parameters for new users

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori