Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP System landscape with SLCM and financial modules

BeateQ
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello to all,

Our university started some years ago the SAP adventure with SAP ERP financial modules (FI, MM, CO, PSM, GM...). Now we want to introduce SAP SLCM module.

From a technical point of view, we prefer running the SAP SLCM module on the same client as the financial modules and not installing a new SAP system or client for SLCM.

But our financial department raises a lot of  concerns regarding this plan. So I try to collect the benefits and disadvantages for the different solutions

1. Running all Modules on one client

2. Running SLCM on a different client as financial modules

3. Running SLCM on a completely different SAP system installation

It would be very helpful if you can put forward a convincing case for one or another solution and give me some hints considering your experience.

Thanks in Advance and Regards

Beate

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Beate;

Thanks for your question!

One of the key advantages and strategic benefits from our SAP SLcM solution is the fact that we are directly/automatically connected with core (academic supporting) backoffice processes like HR and Finance.

On the HR side we share for example the Organizational Management foundation and at the Finance side we are directly tapped into the core financial processes powered by the FICA engine of ERP.

If there are no strong/solid compelling reasons (beside the emotional ones ) to have a point-solution installation of SLcM we always recommend to have SLcM running inside the existing available business suite/ERP. Why?

• Direct, automatic integration with HCM (HR)
  • Direct, automatic integration with FICA (Finance), from tuition fee to collection and distribution to general ledger)
  • Re-use of key supporting business suite engines like:
    • 1. Workflow
    • 2. Authorisation module
    • 3. DMS
  • Maintenance of only one system instead of multiple ones
  • You avoid building and maintaining extra 'interfaces' between ERP1 and ERP2+SLcM.
  • Etc.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other concerns or want to have a call, please drop me an e-mail.

Kind regards

Rob

SAP IBS Solution Management (Higher) Education & Research.

BeateQ
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your quick answer!

Some of these benefits I already told them, but still they are very doubtful.

Beside arguments concerning performance (that we hopefully will solve with a sizing session and buying new hardware for our SAP systems), the key user of the financial modules have especially problems with points like:

Who will be functional responsible for the totalsystem  (in my opinion,  it would be sufficient  to have one person responsible for one or more interrelated modules and that in case of implementing or changing business processes spanning across more than one module they have to work together )

They are afraid about changes made in customizing or implementation concerning SLCM module, that these changes could also affect their financial functions or data and that they also have to test every change made to SLCM  (I think,  of course there will be a few interrelationships, but with a good security concept according to roles and authorizations, and with a well organized change management this should be no obstacle).

…and they are afraid that there will be more maintenance work  concerning upgrade with support packages or backup activities…

Kind regards

Beate

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Beate;

Can imagine the doubts! During my consulting time we experienced the same at several customers. To make a good judgement and not on assumptions I would recommend that you think about conducting some sort of discovery-exercise with SAP Germany and/or an SLcM partner where the current implementation of the Finance module will be checked upon possible shared components with SLcM (I foresee not a lot, maybe some additional table entries in FICA). We did a similar exercise at SLcM customers during the start of the SLcM implementation with the HR and Finance teams and all worked out very well and all parties exactly knew what to expect).

And agree:

- Sizing will take care of performance doubts (even better: the finance team probably will benefit from a new, stronger sized system for SLcM (and even more if you will use HANA as db!)

- With a thorough setup authorisation and change management concept you can have it completely under control.

- Who will manage the system: there SLcM will touch the core business of your university the SLcM team will most-likely have a big saying when it comes to install new SP's, Ehp'S, test cycles, etc. This might can edn-up that he finance team will 'lose' the ownership of the system... Or at least need to share it. I guess this point is one of the most difficult ones to discuss

I will also ask my FICA/Student Accounting expert collegian to give some more detailed guidance.

Kind regards

Rob

Answers (0)