cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SAP GUI on 64-bit Windows 7 with 32-bit Office

Former Member
0 Kudos

Until about 6 months ago, 64-bit systems in my environment had 64-bit Office 2010 installed.  That caused some problems with other applications, so I made the decision that, going forward, ALL systems would have 32-bit Office 2010 installed.

Apparently, it's taken 6 months, but I finally have a need to Install SAP GUI 7.20 Patch 6 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system with 32-bit Office 2010.  It turns out, that doesn't work.

I receive this:

Not all package prerequisits [sic] are fulfilled

Outlook Client extension for the synchronization of SAPoffice calendar with Outlook calendar... No compatible version of Microsoft Outlook found.

I am assuming that since this same installation works on my 32-bit systems, that it is upset about my architecturally-mismatched Office.

Am I correct about the source for this problem?  If so, is there anything I can do to make the GUI work in this environment?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Actually, there is no mismatch in having 32-bit Office installed on 64-bit Windows.  In fact, this is probably the preferred environment.  SAPGUI in general is much happier with 32-bit Office, especially older patches (by the way, 7.20 is no longer in support -- you should upgrade to 7.30).

The errors you're receiving are most probably related to lingering 64-bit components of Office on your workstation.  We had the same situation in my office a while back, when we first started rolling out 64-bit Windows to a few users, and the PC techs mistakenly thought that meant they had to install 64-bit Office.  That caused lots of problems, since 64-bit Office is incompatible with many things, not just SAPGUI, as you found.  Correcting the error by simply reinstalling Office 32-bit resulting in workstations with some 64-bit and some 32-bit components, and that just made things worse.  Systems where 32-bit Office was installed from the beginning (on 64-bit OS) had no problems at all.

So, what you're probably going to need to do is to uninstall all Office components (including Outlook, Visio, anything like that, not just Word and Excel), and also uninstall your SAPGUI, then reinstall 32-bit Office (with Outlook) from scratch, then reinstall your SAPGUI.  This will probably clear up your problem.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, these are systems that have never had 64-bit Office installed.  The one I've been testing on was built from the ground up just so I could test the GUI install.

I'm going to look into 7.30, but will I experience the same issue?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John

If you are using an installation server you can uncheck the option for "Office intregration" (or similar, don't remember the exact name). You can then install the package without problems.

Kind regards

Jann

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John

If possible apply the latest service package for MS office 2010. time to time you have to apply the latest service pack of Ms office tools

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm, I'll do a complete update via Microsoft - usually, systems are upgraded from our WSUS server and it only contains those patches that have been approved by my security people.

If that works, then I'll start the unenviable task of figuring out which update(s) are necessary.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John

If you are using the SAPGUI 7.20 just apply the patch minimum 13 & above. I thing this will solve your current issue

Regards