Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to derive value on Controlling Area on Cost Element or any other entity

riaan_oosthuizen2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I want to derive a value of 1000 on the controlling area when we create a cost element. I have tried DERIVE_CELEM  but it seems that Controlling area can only trigger Derivation on other fields once it is manually populated.

Any ideas if this could be possible?

Thanks

Riaan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Riaan,

the controlling area of a cost element is a key field of the object. The derivation logic of MDG works only for attributes, but not for key fields. The reason simply that each MDG interface requires a valid key as input parameter. The key has to be defined outside MDG.

Best regards

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I also have the same requirement for defaulting the controlling area.

My question is, what if I achieve the same by removing this key field from data model & add as an attribute so that it will be easy for defaulting?

How it will impact the MDG-F standard process?

Kindly recommend the best possible solution.

Best Regards,

Kaustubh

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kaustubh

Just wanted to understand why you want to default the controlling area? Its a key field and changing it as attribute will have lot of issues.

One way you can try is to create a Change dummy CR and keep it in executable mode. User can copy the CR and create their own. Other ways is use the BRF+ and try to default the controlling area.

One more point, normally you have one or two controlling areas so I really don't see any need for changing the data model and do the coding for populating controlling area,

@Michael - Please add your views and any better suggestion.

Kiran

0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Actually, business don't want to select any of the controlling area which is being configured.Their main business is only based on one CO area that is why they don't want to give any kind of provision to select the different  CO area.

Best Regards,

Kaustubh

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kaustubh,

key fields cannot be modelled as attributes. There is a technical check that prevents the same. Furthermore, if you would implement the controlling area as attribute, you client can never user multiple controlling areas for the same cost element ID in the future. I'm not convinced that this is a good idea - you never know how your client's business will change in the future.

Best regards

Michael

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Riaan

It is not possible from MDG side. You must set the controlling area at ECC end - FI side and once set you have to use the same controlling area. You can change it but in FI and not in MDG.

One question - why you want to change the controlling area for CE?

Kiran