cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle GRID Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

We are planning for a Oracle DB Upgrade and it includes several other upgrades as well including storage, hardware, OS and SAP etc.

In the process we need to install the Oracle Grid. As per the SAP recommended installation we should use /oracle directory for the oracle, but oracle is saying to go for  /opt directory for this. For the information we will be using RHEL 6 and Oracle 11.2.0.4 Grid. Is it going to create some issue in future and what about the BRTools*. Have anyone faced this situation before?

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Anand

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Please refer to below SAP note for configuration

1932366 - Configuration of an Oracle Grid Administrator Account

Follow SAP suggestions as it would be useful in future from support perspective.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak,

Thanks for your response.

So far I haven't heard about the oracle directory being located somewhere else but in /oracle only.

I wanted to know if someone have this kind of configuration in their environment when it is located somewhere else.

Kind Regards

Anand

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

thiago_cavalheiro
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Anand,

The ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME recommended by SAP is a best practice. It is not mandatory but I don't see why would Oracle recommend it otherwise. Where did you get this /opt from? If from any kind of manual or guide from Oracle you can ignore it and follow the SAP docummentation.

Best rehgards,

Thiago

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually we confirmed with SAP as well and they don't have any issue in this until unless Oracle is ready to provide level 2/3 support if any issue comes up. They will provide only level 1 support as always.

So we are covered on this but I want to have a point of view from 3rd party like you/me neither from SAP nor from Oracle. So that I can weigh in all the pros and cons.

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Anand

thiago_cavalheiro
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Thanks for the feedback. I actually work at the SAP Support, and that's why I stated the installation directory is not mandatory. It is just a best practice. But I also can't see a reason why Oracle would have any kind of restriction for that, especially on such a common installation such as a grid on RHEL.

Anyway, I'm glad you are covered on your doubts.

Best regards,

Thiago

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thiago,

Thanks for your confirmation on this.

Kind Regards

Anand

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You should follow the SAP recommendations for Oracle installations if the database is used for SAP applications. Check the guides provided here for Grid installation.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8835

Regards

RB