Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding object from different column

former_member672670
Participant
0 Kudos

Hie Guys,

I have 3 alias tables in my Universe - A, B & C. Below is the relationship between the tables.

A to B -> 1 to Many;

A to C ->1 to Many.

The relationship is established by the Project ID present in each table.

I am creating a Webi report with objects from Table C. Now, there is an object in table B called "Occupation" that is not present in the other tables.

The object is at a lower level than Table C. Is there a way I can use this object in my report? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can legitimately use objects from B with objects from A as well as objects from C with objects from A but you cannot use objects from B and C in the same block and you cannot use objects from B in a section based on an object from C and vice versa.

Still plenty of scope to report against these things - beware of merged dimensions as if you don't know how the data relates to each other between B and C then you can end up with wrong results.

former_member672670
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, I am trying to use objects from B & C in the same block, but as you mentioned that is not possible. Could you also please explain why it is not possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

They don't belong together.

If you think of A B C as:

A = Product dimension

B = Sales Fact

C = Delivery Fact

I can create a report with objects from all three tables in it but I need to understand certain things.

My product information applies to B and C - I know what products I sold and I know what products I delivered. Just based on B >- A -< C, I do not know which sales were delivered where. By extension, if I have an Invoice Number in B and a Delivery Note in C, I cannot relate an Invoice Number to a Delivery Note but I can tie them both back to the same product. Obviously in this example, it's simply a case of my data schema being incomplete - I'd add table D, Customer Dim, so that I'd know who bought what and where it was delivered to.

Does that make sense?

If it does, you have a think now about your three tables; can you figure out based on the example above why objects from your tables B and C can both be reported with objects from A but not with each other?

former_member672670
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for clarifying that.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi..Is your problem had solve?

PLEASE change the question is Answered and blog as helpful & answered.

0 Kudos

Hi Jeewan

An alternative could be to use merged dimensions at the Webi side.

You can create one query with C data and another query with B .

Both queries must have one dimension in common in the result (Project ID)

Once you get the results you can use the merge dimension button to merge by PROJECT ID and then you can create a table with objects from both queries.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Erick

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You can able to use “Occupation” from table B in the report, Even though  "Occupation" that is not present in the other tables.

You will able to see the “Occupation” data where Project ID same in both tables.

Is all the tables (A,B and C) are dimension tables or any fact tables is there?

former_member672670
Participant
0 Kudos

All 3 tables have both facts and measures in them.