Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QAS UAT: Printing in LOCAL possible but not with server-based device

rey_miranda
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi guys.

I dunno if this one was answered before, but I need your insights on this situation.

We are doing UAT in our quality system and users were attempting to print to their respective output devices in the server. But the message is always "output device unavailable". When sending the spool job to LOCAL, it succeeds.

What are the areas I need to check on this one? Anything in SPAD I can do or need to coordinate with Basis regarding the status of these printers? I don't have access to the servers, just in SAP.

I checked in SPAD and if I were to query the printer status (Shift+F6), it says "Printer Status is not available. Printer host/IP"

The actual production config works fine, but users wanted assurance that they can print in QA the same way as in Prod.

Thanks for your time.

Rey

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rey,

for server-based printing the address of the server and the printer name installed on this server need to be correct.

If the Output Device settings are re-used from another server, it's not ensured that they will work on the new server too.

For this reason:

• check in transaction SPAD whether the address of the server is correct (and e.g. a firewall does not catch the communication to this server), and
  • check in transaction SPAD whether exactly the same printer name is stored in the Output Device definition like the name of the printer on the server (and the printer is available and is ready for printing).

If these still do not work, post screenshots which show the contents of the first two tabs of the Output Device in transaction SPAD. Also, post screenshots which show the exact error message which appears on printing.

Regards,

Laszlo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

yiming_zhang
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Rey,

I think you also need to work with your basis team to check the SAPSprint on the print server.
Please check the port and whether the service is started by a domain user with relevant authorizations as note 894444.

Regards,
Yiming