Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablespace datafiles in multiple filesystems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'll try to keep my first discussion/question as brief as possilbe,

One of our ext4 filesystems (RHEL 6.2) that houses a near-max-size tablespace (Oracle 11g) is exhausted, expanding it is a viable option, however that raised a question in my head, what would be the implications of extending this tablespace with a datafile that would reside on a different filesystem, i.e. different /sapdata# filesystem? As far as my little knowledge goes, it's doable, however wanted to know if there could be any downsides.

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

There is no problem in extending a tablespace with additional datafiles across multiple /oracle/SID/sapdataX filessystems. As long as there is space in the sapdataX filesystems then you can add data files.

Regards

RB

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Salesh,

Have Different data files of a tablespace in different in File Systems is common practise, There is no harm at all..

You can perfectly use it.

Regards,

Shivam

0 Kudos

Hi Saleh,

No, there is no problem at all. It is a common practice to spread the datafiles accross several disks, so the I/O load is distributed through several physical disks.

I have a small tip. Maybe you know this already, but using LVM (Logical Volume Manager) is kind of handy, so you can dynamically extend disk groups with logical volumes. It makes the administration easier. More information can be found e.g. in Red Hat documentation. LVM is also available for Oracle Linux.

Regards,

János