Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Personas - Merging Tabs for MM01

former_member105930
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am trying to simplify the MM01 Entry screen into one screen if possible. There are some tabs whic are not use, and others have fields on which some should have prefilled data, other fields we do not require. I have hidden what fields I can, but when I try to get all the data onto one screen I run into problems with caching ad prefilling the data.

Has anyone out there tried to simplify this screen that could give me some pointers please?

thanks,

Ian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you give some more details of what you are trying to achieve and what problems you are encountering? It is hard to give specific help without more detail...

Steve.

former_member105930
Active Participant
0 Kudos

What happens is that once I'm in MM01 after completing data such as storage location, material type etc, (before you get to the materialmaster data entry screen) you then see all the tabs.

What I do is complete all the information that I need on all of these tabs so I can see what fields I can then hide, what tabs i can hide.

I then hide any fields I do not use, and enter the default informations in other fields and hide these too.

This leaves me with all the tabs visible, but with just one or two fields visible for entry.

At this point, if I try and merge the tabs to have all fields on one screen, I can make the necessary changes and successfully save the flavor. howev er, when I then try and use the amended MM01, I only see the information orginally on the Basic Data 1 tab. Once I enter the relevant information needed for this I just keep getting the message:

"Fill in all required entry fields" even though I have.

Any fields from the other tabs that I have moved do not appear either. Hoever, If I then click on Edit in personas, and then click on "make all hidden controls visible whilst editing" and then simply save and exit, if I then press enter again the fields do appear?

Im obviously doing somethign wrong but Im not sure what.

hope this may help you?

Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, I understand, I think.

You've turned on tab caching so that you can move fields from one tab to another, right? The way tab caching works is that behind the scenes, as the screen is being rendered, Personas visits each tab you've asked to be cached and grabs the data from all the fields on those tabs. It does that by simulating you clicking on each tab header.

There are some tabs that have mandatory fields, such that if you don't visit the tab you don't have to provide data for the fields but if you do visit the tab, the transaction won't then let you move away from the tab until the mandatory fields are completed. This breaks the tab caching process, since Personas has no way to provide the necessary values. That's what is causing the "Fill in all required entry fields" message.

Does that make sense? Unfortunately, this means that such tabs cannot be cached. There's no way around this that I know of.

Steve.

former_member105930
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve,

Yes that makes perfect sense to me. I just need to isolate those tabs so I do not cache them.

thanks so much for you help with this.

former_member147217
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ian ,

Can you share what have you done to consolidate the MM01 transaction screen as I am also facing the same issue .

former_member105930
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Disha,

What I ended up doing was to not merge the tabs at all. I recorded a script that took me through the entire material creation, (if some materials needed different information completed, I recorded separate scripts for each type).

I recorded making a note of what fields would ALWAYS be entered, and what fields were variables and would change from material to material.

These fields I created custom fields for, and added copy and paste functions to incorporate these values into the script. Those values that do not change stayed the same within the script itself.

Once the key information was entered, the user simply pressed the relevant material type. this then run the entire script to complete the material.

This is what I ended up with.

I hope that this helps you,

Ian

0 Kudos

Hi,

I know how mandatory filds work in SAP Screen Personas, but is it not possible to use these fields in other tabs?

How could I configure just 1 tab with mandatory fields used in other tabs? Of course these mandatory fields can not be filled auomatically or with scripting. User must fill them.

Thanks,

Iker.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Didnt you want to use the copy from feature of the MM01? If the user wants to create a material by copying an existing material, then they have to go to the back end to create it and the above approach is only for creating new materials from the scratch right?

The above is a very good approach and I am glad I came across it. Thanks Ian.

former_member105930
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gautam,

We don't currently use the Copy Material function, however, yes you are correct that this is only for new materials.That said, there is no real reason why we do not use this function so I might well have a play and see what I come up with.

Thanks,

Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think when they click on copy button, if there is a way to write a script to auto-populate the custom fields with the values of the existing material, then they can just click on your 3 script buttons to create a new material. I am curious to know how the copy feature can also be automated.

Cheers,

Gautam

former_member202682
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ian,

I am trying to achive the same thing. My requirement is to create different flavor for differnet material type creation. I was trying to stick to MM01 screens and only modify the Views to show the fields required eith using tab merginig or creating group boxes and having the required fields placed in it on MM01 View screen. I would have a flavor to capture the initial fields like Material , Material Type , Plant , Storage etc and then write a script to call MM01 to pass these fields and select views , after that I was hoping to call my Views Flavor , which I can do but not sure how to pass the Material n rest of the values to my view flavo.

Had you tried this approach during your development? or creating a custom screen to capture all the fields required from all views and write a script to pass those values in the respective view is the only option with MM01??

Thanks,

AShwini

former_member105930
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ashwini,

In the end, (and I stress this is in SAP Personas V2) what I did was to compare the material types I was creating field by field, to see what data always stayed the same, and what data changed such as reorder points etc, prices etc.

On the main screen of MM01 I had hidden fields containing ALL the data that needed to be populated dependant on the material type selected.

I also had on another screen (but this could quite as easily been on the same MM01 initial screen, one script button per material type, each with a script that contained all the unique mandatory values related to the selected material type. This then populated the hidden fields when selected.

Also on the screen I had entry fields where the user added things that will always change such as description, planned delivery time etc. Again dependant on what material type was selected, I would show or hide the relevant custom fields.

This way you end up with one flavor for all material types.

When all the information has been entered another script is used to copy all the entered data, and all the static data (contained in the hidden fields). This script then just goes through the entire material creation pasting the relevant information into the relevant fields.

This meant I did not need any Tab caching but did mean there was a lot to script.

regards,

Ian

Answers (0)