Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Backup/Restore

JAMpe
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding backup/restore in SQL Server 2012 SP1:

If I take a full backup of all databases (SAP/master/msdb) for my SAP system with DB13 or SQL Server Management and then I build a new server including same OS and SQL server software version, same hostname and SAP system (fresh), Will I be able to restore my previous backup from the other system? Or I'll still need a backup of the SAP Kernel, Win registry and etc. from my original server?

Regards,

JAM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In order to create a new system you will either need to setup/install an SAP system (with the same configuration and SID) on the target system and then perform the restore the database from the source system. If you restore the backup of an existing database to a new system then you will only have the data stored in the database.

Regards

RB

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi JA ,

I build a new server including same OS and SQL server software version, same hostname and SAP system (fresh), Will I be able to restore my previous backup from the other system?

As the hostname is kept same ensure that this new server is not published on DNS else it may cause conflicts. Suggestion here would be to use different hostname to avoid  hostname conflicts .

Or I'll still need a backup of the SAP Kernel, Win registry and etc. from my original server?

As you will install fresh SAP , kernel version may not be same like source system. Best option is once your SAP is installed on new server, copy the kernel from source system so that both environments have same kernel level.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi J A,

Or I'll still need a backup of the SAP Kernel, Win registry and etc. from my original server?

No requirement to take backup for SAP Kernel,Windows registry files from original system.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ja,

Yes,You can do it.Take full offline backup and move to fresh sap system and restore it.No need of kerenel backup.

Regards,

Chandu