cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skip the Creation of Maintenance Notification

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to know the effect if i will skip or remove the process of creation of Maintenance notification in SAP PM. The process will start with the creation of Order, if there's an external service required the Maintenance Order will be converted into PO if no external service or material will close the Order.

Since the Creation of Maintenance Order will generate Notification, we were thinking that creation of Notification is redundant if the system allows to create order and notification in one transaction.

What would be the effect of this, thanks and God bless.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As your statement states

peach cenina wrote:

Since the Creation of Maintenance Order will generate Notification, we were thinking that creation of Notification is redundant if the system allows to create order and notification in one transaction.

As you have configured automatic creation of notification while creating the Maintenance order, its not required to create one more notification.

In the same notification created while creating Maintenance order, you can update the Breakdown duration, Catalogs, etc.,

By having these, you can get all the reports like MTTR / MTBR, other catalog related reports, etc.,

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings Peach,

As the experts, who had already answered observed, this is purely a business process consideration. If your (Client's) organization supports a "streamlined" process in which direct Order creation is beneficial you can go for it.

As you've written "Since the Creation of Maintenance Order will generate Notification, we were thinking that creation of Notification is redundant if the system allows to create order and notification in one transaction." I assume you are still using Notification and Order integration. But as mentioned, this is optional as well.

If you choose to create a Notification in the background, you can still register breakdown times for MTTF/MTBF calculations, Catalog Codes for tracking and any additional information once the Orders are created.

But consider this: How is work requested, released for execution and reported? If you only create Orders, you have only Orders to go on. Therefore, you might require more verbose User Status management, and you may find yourself with Orders that are being created unnecessarily and have to be closed, Orders being released prematurely... You have to have a very "flat" process around this immediate Order creation.

On the other hand, consider that having Notifications created prior means a more "deep" process and more overhead, but you can have a step to filter works to be released on the Notification level before Orders are created, if you have more than one Notification  for the same work, you can assign it to a single Order, and you have more options when designing roles and authorizations, since you can separate access and business transactions for Notifications and Orders for your Operations and Maintenance users, if necessary.

Please ask further questions if you have any!

Former Member
0 Kudos

i will still maintain the link between notification and order, therefore I will still have an Order and Notification at the same time.

Currently the system is config that after approval of Order it will automatically generate a Purchase Requisition. The concern is how about the repair under warranty which does not requires purchase Order. Do we have a config to prohibit the maintenance order under warranty in creating PR?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peach,

I'm agree the answer of Yogesh, I wish to aggregate that you will loose all the information that the Catalog of the notification provides you. Such as Damage, Cause of Damage, Task, Object Part... all this catalog dosen´t exist in the maintenance order and if you avoid the use of notification you will loose all this information.

To many enterprises uses this information in order to learn about the reason of the failures and optimize they preventive/predictive activities.

Don´t forget, that during the lifecycle of the notification you can handle each task or activity as an individual object and take control of wich activies are done or not. Wich is closed and witch no, and who has close each activity. The maintenance order have operation, but you can not close and operation, you close or complete the order as one.

Hope that helps, if you got more questions, it is a pleasure to answer them.

Regards

Lucas

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can skip. it depends on business process.

You may not get few reports if you skip notification processing. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Yogesh, but do you have an idea or list of the reports that I may not get.

Another thing if I go directly to maintenance order upon saving the system will create a notification too. therefore a notification still exist and report can be generated, please correct me if im wrong.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is again in config... you do not assign notification type to order type in config and system will not generate notification in background.

Report are like .. MTBF and then breakdon report.. etc.