cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration SAP SolMan 7.1 MSSQL 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition to MSSQL Standard Edition

0 Kudos

Hello,

I try to migrate a SAP SolMan 7.1 on Windows MSSQL 2008 R2 ENTERPRISE EDITION to

MSSQL 2008 R2 STANDARD EDITION.

In the source system (MSSQL 2008 R2 ENTERPRISE EDITION) there is "table compression" and

"partitioning" active.

the MSSQL STANDARD EDITION doesn`t support these two features.

So a normal DB backup on the source system and restore in the destination system is not possible.

But the tables compression I can deactivte by the SQL script

#####################

SELECT DISTINCT ‘ALTER TABLE [' + SCHEMA_NAME(schema_id) + '].[' + NAME + '] REBUILD PARTITION = ALL WITH (DATA_COMPRESSION = NONE);’

FROM sys.partitions p

join sys.objects o

on p.object_id = o.object_id

WHERE o.TYPE = ‘u’

and data_compression_desc != ‘NONE’

UNION

SELECT ‘ALTER INDEX ALL ON [' + SCHEMA_NAME(schema_id) + '].[' + NAME + '] REBUILD PARTITION = ALL WITH (DATA_COMPRESSION = NONE);’

FROM sys.partitions p

join sys.objects o

on p.object_id = o.object_id

WHERE o.TYPE = ‘u’

and data_compression_desc != ‘NONE’

#######################

is there a way to undo or deactivate the the SQL table partitioning without any data lost ?

Or is there a other way to migrate a SAP SolMan 7.1 form MSSQL 2008 R2 ENTERPRISE EDITION to MSSQL 2008 R2 STANDARD EDITION ?

Best regards

A. Moore

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Netweaver uses features that you cannot switch off and that are not included in standard edition... taking partitioning of tables as an example:

BW functionality is integrated in Netweaver - it doesn't matter if you use it or not, it's still there. BW creates a certain class of tables as partitioned tables so if you use the standard edition all this will fail and lead to errors. In Solution Manager several features use BW functionality - I can't tell you the job- and object names off the top of my head but I know that SolMan as of a certain release uses infocubes (partitioned tables in use for these) to store statistical information.

I do not see a way to get a Netweaver-based product running on any other Edition than Enterprise Edition without causing lots of problems on SAP level.

Regards,

Beate

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Moore,

As mentioned in note 62988:

Supported editions

All supported SQL Server versions are tested by SAP in the Enterprise Edition only. Therefore, only the Enterprise Edition is supported. The SAP support may not be able to solve problems that occur with other editions.

Regards,
Eduardo Rezende

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moore

Could you refer the SAP Note for MS Sql Version supports

1076022 - Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (R2)

and MS SQL table compression & decompression SAP Note

1488135 - Database compression for SQL Server

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes,

As said by other techie "SQL server standard edition is not supported in SAP environments".

SAP cannot guarantee/support on data loss and other issues for such unsupported installations.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Martina_Gállego
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi A.Moore,

I've seen during an installation of SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5 IDES with MS SQL Server 2008 R2 this message:

"Cannot enable compression for object 'AAB_ID_PROP' Only SQL Server Enterprise Edition supports compression"

And:

"SQL Server Standard Edition is not supported in SAP environments"

I have installed in first place Standard Edition and upgraded to Enterprise Edition aftes these errors.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Martina