cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IQ 16 - Support index partitioning?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear IQ gurues,

My colleagues using Vertica and known (don't no from) that SAP (Sybase) IQ doesn't support index partitioning

Please clarify -  Does SAP IQ support index partitioning or not?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The FP, default, indexes are partition aware and the storage mechanism for partitioned data. The other indexes are global and can only be created on the whole table, not on an individual partition.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why IQ have partially support partitioning for indexes?

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Think of the FP index as the default data storage mechanism.  This is no different than other databases that support partitioning but global indexes only.  Not all RDBMS engines support partition based indexes.

I suggest you open a case and ask for a feature enhancement around this.  It has been discussed for quite some time and I tell all customers the same thing.  A case with a customer use case goes a lot further to getting features like this onto the radar screen of product management and into the product.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

All main RBMS (like Oracle, MS SQL, DB2, SAP ASE, Vertica, Teradata and etc) support this feature.

Thanks for advice for case and asking feature enhancement.

Why IQ doesn't have a branch on ideas.sap.com?

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Just a side note, that Vertica does not support partition indexes.  Actually, Vertica doesn't have indexes.  No notion of that concept at all.

They have the same support that SAP IQ does for partitions.  From their manuals: Partitions apply to all projections for a given table.

Mark

Answers (0)