cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with SAP GUI Installation server option "Compress to Single File Installer"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are performing SAPGUI upgrade to version 730 patch 10 along with BEx 3.5 and BI 7.0 in the same package. We have used “SAP Installation Server tool” to create a self-installation package with all these components.

From this package when we execute the installation package, we are asked to check the package to be installed. Even if we don't check the component, installer doesn't fail. It just continues and doesn't install anything. (attached the screenshot for your reference)

Is there a way, to make this checkbox selected by default? Any script can be written?

Even with the silent installation, it fails as this checkbox is not selected. Please advice.

Regards,

SriCharan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jude for your response!

In our case, my client wants me to create a package and provide it to them. So, they deploy it to the end users using Microsoft SCCM. I'm using option "Create a Self-installation package" to make that package. Please confirm if this package can be used and will SCCM push the package?

Regards,

SriCharan

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SriCharan,

The Single-File-Installer isn't what you're looking for, if you want to use SCCM to push installations.  The Single-File-Installer is really more for offline scenarios, like people on laptops and/or VPN connections that aren't always on, or over slow WAN connections, so you can distribute the single file to them (perhaps on thumb drive) and they can do a standalone offline installation without a direct connection to the Installation Server.

For SCCM, the option you're really looking for is Create Package Definition File.  I admit I don't have a lot of experience with this particular option, as so far we haven't used SCCM (or its predecessor, SMS) to push out the SAPGUI, but that is what this is for.  It doesn't use the self-extracting single-file installer, but instead it will use the package you've created on the Installation Server, along with /NoDlg or /Silent options on the install command-line.  When installing a Package from the Installation Server using a command-line such as:

\\<server>\<share>\Setup\NwSapSetup.exe /Silent /Package="<package_name>"

The installation will start without requiring any interaction from the user.  In other words, the checkbox will be checked, and the installation will just start.  You can substitute /NoDlg instead of /Silent if you want the same behavior, but you want the user to see the progress of the installation (this is my preferred option).

Regards,

Matt

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SriCharan

Did Matt's solution work?  I have exactly the same issue.

regards

Geoff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Geoff,

Yes. The installation worked without requiring any interaction from the user by using below /Silent option.

\\<server>\<share>\Setup\NwSapSetup.exe /Silent /Package="<package_name>"

Regards,

SriCharan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt for your understanding of exact requirement and detailed response!

I will try using the option "Create Package Definition File" and push it though SCCM. Will update the message back probably on Monday with the status.

Regards,

SriCharan

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

This function is really only for testing on single machines to see how it works out.

You really need the installation server to push the package for real scenarios.

Jude