Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should we create data type

Seshu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a basic question!

why do we create data type and then wrap it as message type?

why dont we directly create a message type and use that ?

please give the answers. Thanks in Advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Seshu,

In my opinion, DT is just for structure purpose, at run time Value is held in MT. i would illustrate the same with an example.

DT Struct - EMP_NO, EMP_NAME ,

MT= 1,ABCD

This is how it is represented at run time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seshu,

datatype is a structure/schema which tells about the data fields and formats . this is generic template but we need a container to store this format which is Messagetype.

Cheers

Hidayat

0 Kudos

Hi Seshu,

A message type comprises a data type that describes the structure of a message. For technical reasons, a data type alone is not sufficient to describe the instance of a message: Data types are defined in XML Schema as abstract types that are not yet tied to an element. You can only describe an instance of a message when you have specified a data type as an element type. Therefore, a message type defines the root element of a message.

Thanks,

Naga.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Seshu,

I personally prefer to have external definitions with schemas with structured basic types in different files. It easier and quicker to develop them with external tools like XMLSPY or Freex-Editor. I consider an advantage to have them locally in order to share them. Obviously this have the disadvantage to have a design element offside of PI, with the double maintenance, but for me it's only a organizational problem that it can be overcame.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Seshu,

Found a good explanation in the link below.

Difference between Data type and Message type - Process Integration - SCN Wiki

Regards,

Jannus Botha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seshu,

this is due to xml schema characteristics....data type must be assigned to message type as element type...data type cannot be the root element of the message, message type should be the root element, then only the instance of the message will be described.

Regards,

Kartheek K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seshu,

Please go through below links, you get answer

Difference between Data type and Message type - Process Integration - SCN Wiki

Regards,

Krupa