cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Import..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We need to perform the client export of PRD (300 client) system and import in QAS (300 client) i.e. quality server.

I have performed the Client export of PRD (300 client) server, which takes 4 hours and creates following two requests..

RT00025 (Client specific) = 9 GB

RX00025 (Texts) = 90 MB

Database is ORACLE on windows server 2008 R2.

Last time when we perform the client export and import procedure, that time client specific request (RT00023) is of 3 GB and it has taken 2 days to complete the client import procedure. Another thing I have seen that, there are huge redo log files created in ORAARCH folder near about 80 GB redo log files during this client import.

So please advise me on following points..

1. How much free space require in Quality server to Import the PRD client?
  2. There is any ways to speed up the client import procedure?
  3. Why such amount of redo log files are created during client import?
  4. How to reduce this amount of redo log files because this time client export is of 9 GB, so it creates huge amount of redo log files...

Thanks and regards,

Swapnil.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swapnil,

Here are your answers:

1. Run report RSSPACECHECK your souce system to find the size of client and adjust target space.

2.Increase the number of parallel process during import.

3.Any changes in database tables are logged in redolog files.

4. Turn off archiving.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Divyanshu,

Thanks for your comments..

2.Increase the number of parallel process during import., parallel process will allow in remote client copy, but here I am using the Client Export and Import procedure to refresh the client of Quality from Production client. So any other ways to improve speed of client import?

4. There may be any inconsistency if we disable the archive logs?

Thanks and regards,

Swapnil.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my knowledge i would suggest you to opt SAP_CUST ( Customizing) as SAP_ALL export would be huge in size and not always possible as there are limitations.

(Best method is to use system copy procedures for such time consuming jobs.)

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thanks for your valuable comments. I will follow and get back to you.

I would like to know that, basically which profile is used while export of Production client i.e. SAP_ALL or SAP_CUST, obviously it depends upon the requirement, but what is your suggestions on this?

SAP_ALL contains all the client specific data. i.e User data, Customizing, Application data.

I have exported the Production client with SAP_ALL profile and the request is created of 9 GB.

If i take export with SAP_CUST, so its obvious the export(request) size is less and it will imported on target client quickly. (Because SAP_CUST contains only Customizing and application data will delete)

But as I said need your suggestions, which profile is preferred in most of companies?

Thanks and regards,

Swapnil..

Former Member
0 Kudos

It really depends on the usage of target client!

If you want to make a QTY system with same data where you do UAT etc., then you should select SAP_ALL. If you just want to use it as production copy in sync with customization and you create the data on your own then SAP_CUST is fine.

If you want full data, easiest option is to take online backup of Production and restore it in QA which can be done in few hours (Not days).

If you just need customization data, then do client export/import by selecting SAP_CUST which can be done in few hours (Not days).

But do not do client export/import (for bigger clients) with SAP_ALL (Because you have single client in source and target, so it doesn't make sense to do this massive excercise just to get the full data. And you cannot expect system to finish such activity in hours).

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

At least half the time of these huge client copies/transports is spent on deleting the target tables.  If you have no other clients in QA, you can use the steps below to speed up your import considerably.

1. Identify the 25 to 50 largest tables in production.  You have to use your own judgement on how many.
  2. Check the export logs and eliminate all tables from your list that were NOT exported.
  3. Eliminate all tables from your list that have data in QA in a client other than your target client.  This can be done with a simple query, something like "select count(*) from <table> where mandt <> <target client>".
  4. Log into your QA database and truncate (NOT delete!) the tables that are left after step 2.
  5. Start the client import.

To stress again the 2 major points:

• Do not truncate any tables that are not part of the data that is being copied.
  • Do not truncate any tables that have data in a client other than your target client.

And most of all: make sure you are not in production when you are doing the truncate.  (Don't ask me why. )

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Your questions are very basic.

How much free space require in Quality server to Import the PRD client?

Read the point 8 form the SAP note 552711 - FAQ: Client copy

There is any ways to speed up the client import procedure?

Parallelism is not available in export / import. 541311 - CC-INFO: Parallel processes FAQ But there is a TP parameter called PARALLEL. I am not sure whether it will help but you can try. Read this SAP note 1127194 - R3trans import with parallel processes to know more. If that doesn't help then go for the backup and restore method.

Why such amount of redo log files are created during client import?

This is normal and database is designed to work like that.

How to reduce this amount of redo log files because this time client export is of 9 GB, so it creates huge amount of redo log files...

You may switch the database into no-archive log mode before starting the import.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nick and Gaurav,

Yes we have only one client in PRD.

Sure I will read the note 68896, but what steps should I take for current situation, Production client export is completed and need to import it in Quality.

Thanks and regards,

Swapnil..

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swapnil,

Generally if client size is more we prefer to opt system refresh/copy activities to reduce downtime.For import procedure kindly check SCN doc Step by Step guide for client export import - Basis Corner - SCN Wiki

Regards,

Gaurav

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swapnil,

Kindly check SAP Note 68896.To speed up the export/import, use R3trans export/import for the clustered tables.Here i would suggest client copy export/import method depends on your system performance also.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

First check, what is your Production database size (I believe you have only one client in PRO)?

Why can't you go with a system refresh if client is bigger?

Regards,

Nick Loy