cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release of Network activity without releasing WBS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a strange requriement by my client. At present Network activity is getting released if the WBS is in CTRD status, We have user status CTRD as well for WBS, to stop the release but user status only stop WBS from releasing not the network activity.

I tried different user status, but none of the them stop the release of Network activity by controlling at WBS level.

Please suggest if there is a way this can be implemented.

Thanks,

Meruta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I think you have not assigned user status profile in OPSC.

Anyways,It can be achieved using user status to some extent.

See the attached screen shot, the way I configured.System is not allowing me to REL the activity.

You can channelize the information to the users that if system prompts such a message then they have to release WBS/NTW first (I have maintained NREL as initial status).

Now, if they release WBS/NTW,system will give them this error prompt again until it is being reset (you may use authorization key to 'authorize control' if required) .

So,the one who is authorize to release WBS,NTW,NTWA should be aware of this setting so that instead of releasing activity directly he/she will have to release WBS/NTW first.

Regards

Saurabh

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone,

In my client, we have a user status at WBS level which restricts the release of WBS but for network activity we canot have a seperate status to restrict the release as this will bring lot of work for business to change NWA status before release.

The requirement here is to restrict the release of activity if WBS is still in created status. I tried all the combination with system status and user status at  WBS level but looks like with standard SAP process this cannot be done.

Please suggest if I am missing something and status for activity can be restricted if the WBS has created status.

Regards,

Meruta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I assume from your post that you are not maintaining any user status at NW&NWA level. Am I right?.

Try this way... create status profile for NWA and check for forbidding REL of NWA if WBS element in CRTD. its not a straight cut but we need to tweak it. User status at NWA is more important for you than at WBS element.

If this requirement can not be acheived through standard customization, then we may have use  user exits, CNEX0028  Check activity release & CNEX0029  Check network release. Discuss with your ABAPer to develop custom check to release the NWA if WBS element in CRTD status.

Thanks,

Sudhakar

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Meruta,

If you are using CJ20N transaction to release the Networks, system will check the hierarchy and release the WBS element account assigned.

In case if you are releasing the Network from CN22, then system will not check whether the WBS element is released or even it will not force to release it, it will release the network and network activities.

You can try to create Validation for network to validate the WBS element status before releasing the Network status.

I feel, this should work for you

Thanks

Terence

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you better go with use-exit option as suggested by Sudhakar in his post.You are right that setting/resetting of user status can bring lot of work to business but its all about how we control the transactions on projects through user status.

Follow the available exits to validate WBS CRTD with NWA REL status.

Regrads

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

It may be possible to address your requirement through user status and linked business transactions.  You will have to try out multiple options available there so that user status suitable for release of Network Activity itself does not get set without a specific business transaction allowed on WBS Element. I have done this, but I have experienced this in the opposite direction, which I do not remember as of now.

If user status can not resolve the issue, then custom development code in Network BADI BUS2001 should take care of this.  But this check happens only during saving the network/ project.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As standard practice, you can release network activity without any issue. While doing this, you will have REL status on NWA, PREL stataus on NW and WBS.

Please note that, status PREL at referenced object (either NW & WBS) indicates that, the lower level objects have been attained the status REL and CRTD status at the referenced objects have been substituted by PREL.

Acutally if you go by the definition of PREL, this status also as good as CRTD. it will not let you to post/book time or cost on these objects.

I am not sure how and what methodology is being used to release NWA. You must be selecting at top level and releasing, if you are doing so, please do not do.

Select the NWA and on righ handside click on activity, then you will activity gird lines and select them and release. if you do like this you will have REL status at NWA and PREL at NW and WBSe.

Thanks,

Sudhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I understood, you want to restrict release of NWA without releasing WBS. As standard, I think, it can't be done either from user status/validations.

As standard process releasing in Projects can be done either from top/bottom level.

If your release PD-> then all sub projects object(WBS, Network, NWA) will get released automatically.

On the other hand, if you release NWA, then your NW will also get released. And PD/WBS also will also set Partially released(PREL).

You can go thru custom development, Not sure but check user exit CNEX0028 with the help of your abaper for developing logic check restrict release of NWA without releasing WBS.

Regards

Shishir

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Meruta,

Can you please elaborate your requirement, do you want to release the network activity with out releasing the WBS element... or you want to restrict your client system on releasing the network activity without releasing the WBS element...

First Check the WBS element / Network User status setting... also check whether there is any custom logic built for some update on Save of network or project, which also might trigger this kind of abnormality...

As SAP Standard, it is adviceable to release the activity without releasing the WBS elements.

Thanks

Terence