cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Upgrade from 720 EXT to 721 EXT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am trying to upgrade kernel of our ERP 6.0 EHP6 system from 720 EXT 64-bit UC to 721 EXT 64-bit UC. But after copying and replacing the files of 721 kernel the system doesn't come up. The dispatcher goes down after few minutes. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Megha Aggarwal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

OS is Windows Server 2008, Database is Oracle 11g

Reagen, I cannot delete all files from old kernel because some files in 721 are missing.

Samuli, Yes, I followed the instructions in 1713986 . But that too didn't work.

Can you please suggest something else.

Regards

Megha Aggarwal

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the machine type, X64 or IA64? And the Database version as well.

Reagen, I cannot delete all files from old kernel because some files in 721 are missing.

You should delete all the older version related files before you extract the newer version, this is recommended way.

721 Ext UC kernel is supported only for Windows 2008/X64 64bit and Windows SRV 2008 R2/X64 64bit.

Take a look at SAP note 1716826.

Regards,

Nick Loy

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Megha,

as Samuli already has asked could you please try to start the system and attach traces - dev_disp, dev_rd, dev_w0, dev_ms. In the traces you should see the reason, what the system is missing.

regards,
Alwina

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Megha

1. After copied the new kernel 7.21 just run the command R3trans -d & also you have taken backup of Old kernel from there you can run the same command (R3trans -d) to check.

2. Could you paste /attach the log dev_disp & r3trans log.

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

may we know how you perform respective activity?

by copying to old exe folder or by creating new folder.

few hints

stopsap

cleanipc <nr> remove (nr is your instance no)

kill -2 any sapstartstrv process

now extract your new exe

./root.sh SID

aalso check local_listener parameter

update us

regards,

bond

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Make sure you have deleted the kernel files from the old release from /sapmnt/SID/exe and /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS<NN>/exe locations before you put the new files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What OS and DB? Look in the work directory of the SAP instance. See the dev_disp, dev_rd, dev_ms, dev_w<xx>, etc. files for the reason. Did you follow instructions in SAP note 1713986?