cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem of accessing R/3 BAPI_FLIGHT_GETLIST because RFC Metadata was retri

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I run the flight web dynpro application to access BAPI on R/3 IDES client, I get this error bellow.

Accessing System ER2 is not possible because RFC Metadata was retrieved using System X01. Please assure you have configured the RFC Connections properly. A Server restart may be necessary!

I have checked SLD connection is OK, and JCO destinations OK in web dynpro content administrator.

ER2 is my version 4.7 enterprise R/3 system and X01 is XI 3.0 system. ER2 runs on ABAP Web AS 6.20, while X01 is running on dual stack ABAP/Java Web AS 6.40 and J2EE 6.40.

In the beginning I configure JCO destinations using XI client in connection property. Later I find out no flight data loaded in XI client. So I use R/3 IDES client which has flight data. Thus I modify the connection properties of JCO destinations.

Then I rebuild the web dynpro application and re-deploy it. Finally I get the error message

Accessing System ER2 is not possible because RFC Metadata was retrieved using System X01. Please assure you have configured the RFC Connections properly. A Server restart may be necessary!

So it seems JCO setting still remember old FRC Metadata which is connected to XI client, rather than reflect new R/3 IDES client. So how to refresh the JCO to let SAP system know the new JCO for web dynpro application?

Moreover, in JCO general data and first screen of editing the JCO, I need to type in a J2EE cluster name. Here I choose XI instance X01, which has a J2EE 6.40 engine. It is also the place I will deploy my web dynpro flight application. On my R/3 V4.7 ER2 system, it has only ABAP Web AS 6.20, no J2EE engine. So is this a problem because R/3 client is not on J2EE cluster server X01?

Should the BAPI client reside on J2EE cluster server?

Thanks!

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi lin

This is a problem because you have imported the model at design time by connecting to the XI system. When you change the system to ER2 , the model still refers to the old XI system.

Just delete your model and just create them again.At the time of importing the RFC Model ensure that you give the user credentials of the ER2 (4.7) system. Then rebuild and deploy your application.

Hope that solves the problem :).

regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

thanks for your suggestions! I did follow it and delete imported model and create a new one. then i go through the process of creating the web dynpro application and save, re-built and deploy and run it.

finally i get the same error message as before.

In Web dynpro content administrator when I set up JCO destination, in the first step of creating a new JCO connection, I need to specify a client. I suspect it is a R/3 client where I want to access RFC or BAPI. Then in the second step, I need to specify J2EE cluster name.

So my question is that should the R/3 client related to the J2EE cluster? I mean should the machine hosting R/3 client also runs a J2EE engine?

For the flight example, I get error:

Here ER2 is R/3 enterprise V4.7, with only ABAP Web AS 6.20, no J2EE engine.

X01 is XI 3.0 with J2EE engine 6.40.

By the way, I test the SLD and JCO destinations. They are all correct.

So I suspect if the R/3 system I want to access must have a J2EE engine running? Otherwise how to explain above error?

or should i restart SAP server? in my case, which one to restart? ER2 R/3 or XI with J2EE engine?

Please give me some clues on this error.

Thanks,

Lin

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi lin

Well i guess the metadata cache is still not cleared. Well restart u r J2EE server and then rebuild and deploy.

Well at the time of configuring JCO connection you have to mention the name of the J2EE cluster where your component is deployed.

Since your XI is a WAS 6.40 with ABap stack and ur R/3 is 4.7 enterprise, u r R/3 need not have a J2EE instance.

SLD maintains the information of the R/3 system. Typically in a project you will have a SLD where you will define your ABAP technical system.

You would have defined 2 abap technical systems, one for XI and one for ER2.

Then using the WebDynpro content administrator you will define jco connections for Model and Metadata using the technical system you configured in SLD. In this case you will configure u r jco to either use XI or ER2 from the system select dropdown.

Hope that clarifies the doubt. Let me know if you require something more

regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks so much for your help. I follow your suggestion to restart SAP server hosting J2EE engine. then rebuild and redeploy the flight list web dynpro application. it works!

I feel that it is OK for development server to restart J2EE engine now, as only i and a few developer using the SAP XI J2EE engine. but if this moves to a SAP production server situation when the XI J2EE engine support many other clients' application, i am afraid the restart may have some effects on other users of the J2EE engine. they may be disconnected.

but anyway, now the problem is solved and closed. I appreciate your help and glad to see the web dynpro application running on XI J2EE engine can access BAPI on another physical machine hosting R/3 4.7 enterprise.

Lin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Sure lin. This should not be a problem in the coming versions i guess. Anyway even we will be going live soon and in order to avoid the restart of the production we are planning it in such a way that once the setting is done we dont plan to change it :).

regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Yeah! I will try to plan well beforehand which JCO destination to use. hope next version is OK.

thanks,

Lin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member322327
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi everyone:

Anybody found another solution for this issue?, because, sometimes it is not convenient to delete the model when this is big.

Thanks.

Eduardo Campos

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

We had the same error after changing JCO connections to another system from SLD.

Testing of the JCO connections was succesfull afterwards however running the application was not. It dispalyed:

"Accessing System 'S73' is not possible because RFC Metadata was retrieved using System 'A73'. Please assure you have configured the RFC Connections properly. A Server restart may be necessary!"

Guess what...

A Server restart was necessary!

After that everything worked just fine.

Regards, WD.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In out development team, most of us are new to Netweaver/Webdynpro/NWDI so what do the experienced folks think?

I agree with Eduardo.

For applications that move from development to QA systems before being launched in production and it is not convenient to delete models, reimport, rebuild and redeploy everytime the corresponding r/3 system changes.

Have I missed something? Is it truly the case? Can the NWDI help cope with this issue?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A server restart was not successful for me. I still get the same message.

"Accessing System <xyz> is not possible because RFC Metadata was retrieved using System <abc>. Please assure you have configured the RFC Connections properly. A Server restart may be necessary!"

Anything else that can be wrong?