cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block actual cost booking if it exceeds plan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are not using budgeting in our project.

So in order to control cost booking, currently we have user statuses.

For example, if the user status WARR is active, we can't run result analysis.

But it is somewhat difficult as its manual assignment.

So is there any other way to control not booking excess cost than plan ?

Kindly let me know your suggestions.

Many Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Updating user status can be an 'automatically update' also and that would be triggered with a user-exit and FM during project saving.

If you explain your business requirement a bit more then you will get more replies on what you want to achieve in it.

Regards

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Saurabh,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually the issue is there is we need a Lock-in in System to stop manual cost booking- Project wise Plan cost is updated in system. And requirement is to get automated error message /control on Cost booking for given project, if it is greater than the planed cost, it should not allow over and above the planned cost.

We are not using budgeting, so no budget control is possible in the customization.

Many thanks

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pro GFX,

I am not not sure this can be controlled with Standard SAP.

Alternatively you can built up a small logic on Save exit to identify the Actual / Plan Cost to lock or unlock it. Cost information can be obtain from RPSCO table.

Regards

Terence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Maria Terence,

Thanks for your reply.

I have one doubt, at the time of manual cost booking, will the locking mechanism work ?

Thanks

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes , it can be done with some development.

You would require user-exit during project save (BADI WORKBREAKDOWN_UPDATE --> AT_SAVE)

You need to save values for Plan  vs Actual in a table maintenance (TMG) or from std. table RPSCO and develop the logic with ABAPer as to pop-up warning or error message during project save whenever the actual values against wbs exceeds planned values maintained against wbs in TMG.

Get in touch with ABAPer for it.

Regards

Saurabh

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pro GFX,

Yes, it will work.

Its based on the update from RPSCO table to select the plan and actual cost based on the Value type.

Also check whether this helps you...make use of planning lock PLLK to avoid additional planning in user status, this also require some ABAP to compare the plan and actual cost and then the user status can be checked automatically.

Thanks

Terence

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When there is a very well proven functionality of Budgeting availale to control actual posting, why are you developing something?  Is there any specif reason?

Imagine, what you might be getting into.  You will have to develop a function module to determine everytime there is a posting on that particular WBS Element and change the uer status on that so that next posting does not take place.  Actual postin gmight be happening due to various reasons.  You will have to track each one of them.Once you detect that the actual cost has gone beyond the planned cost, you will have to set a user status so that actual costs are not posted further.  It is also required that you will have to check during the current actual posting itself, if this cost is crossing the planned cost. You are getting into a complication which will take few months to implement.

Regards,

Gireesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Girish,

Exactly the issue is what you have explained above.

Since the business doesn't want to use budgeting, then we should have some other option to control cost booking.

As you have mentioned above, actual cost booking can happen from various reasons/transactions.

So we need to check the current value before saving.

Here is the issue, how can we block it before saving.

I know it's too complex, but I would like to know someone can help me on this, as they may not be using budgeting.

Many thanks to all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Pro GFX,

You will have to then find if there are any enhancement spots avaialble in financial posting transactions and check whether this is being called in all types of financial postings. Similarly you will have to find an enhancement spot in CO postings.  If you can find the perfect spot in these two areas, then you are quite safe. I do not think anyone would have tried this and hence you may not get exact answer.

But, still I feel, budgeting functionality is the best and should implement only that.  In fact it is right way to let customer know that there is no solution other than budgeting.

Regards,

Gireesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

The requirement is not as easy as it sounds. Reason being, actual cost postings on a project can happen in various ways (as mentioned in the post above). Now, its literally not possible to identify each of these and put in a check which will compare the Plan vs Actual and block the posting in case actual exceeds plan.

I assume that there are a certain set of people in your project who are allowed/authorized to do these actual postings. Lets say you develop a simple report that shows just the Plan, Actual and the Difference between the plan and actual values (in short, if the difference is positive system will allow actual postings for the said difference and if its negative actual postings should not be done). Now, this thing wont work automatically. There has to be manual intervention here. People who are authorized to do actual postings need to check this report before they make any postings.

I am sure this is not a robust solution as there will not be any block when multiple people authorized to do actual postings are carrying out the transaction.

Fool proof way of doing this would be to explore what Girish has suggested. Identify enhancements spots in all transactions in FI and CO that cause actual postings and put a check in place.

All said and done, all the suggestions listed above could cause complications. It would be really good if you could convince the business to make use of the Budgeting functionality. Its easy and robust.