Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy ESS Customisations in Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

A little bit of background on my problem:

We had ESS/MSS business packages deployed in our portal landscape couple of years ago(nearly 4 years ago).

Now we had a requirement to customise one of the ESS component. We set up the NWDI, created track, imported DC, made the modifications, deployed to a local server, tested successfully.

Now we need to move our code to the rest of the environments in our landscape.

Im aware that we have the option to set up runtime systems, connect to CTS+ and it does the job......but my concern is that this approach is risky as we would deploy the whole ESS component and eventually it might break something.

We are happy to deploy just the changes as we do in direct deployment from NWDS.

Is there any other option to do this?

Regards,

J

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use NWDS to deploy in other systems also. Change the runtime system and deploy the component

Former Member
0 Kudos

We want to explore that as a last option.

since deploying directly from NWDS does not have the traceablity.

Can we deploy the ear file in the portal?

and out of curiosity and a better understanding, what does the ear file, and sca file contain?

what is the difference between them?

Regards,

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ear files can be deployed in newer version of portal like 7.3. For older versions, ear deployment were restricted through NWDS.

ear file contains the deployable application for single component where as SCA contains all applications which are defined in the software component.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the clarification.

We are using portal 7.02, so we cab rule out the option of deploying ear file into the portal.

But again out of curiosity, does the ear file contain the dependent dcs?

Assuming that im on portal 7.3,and if i deploy the ear(for the single ess component) on portal, will it include the dependent dcs?

and in my scenario, can i transport the iview for this ESS component and would the changes reflect?

Regards,

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

ear file may include the meta data about dependent dc's and not the DC's. transporting iview wont carry along the underlying webdynpro application. transport of iview is done in case of par based application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like i dont have much of an option....

either i have to use NWDI with runtime systems and CTS+

or use NWDS to directly deploy it to other environments

SDM - can only deploy SCA/SDA files

JSPM - same as above

VA - can i use Visual admin to deploy ear?

Regards,

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

VA is not used for deployments. It is used for admin configurations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any other options? othe than the below mentioned two?

either i have to use NWDI with runtime systems and CTS+

or use NWDS to directly deploy it to other environments

Regards,

J

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Another option is CM Services with an activity based SDA transport.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/8b/17dc0982fb4584b10ac4ab49a75fa0/content.htm

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b08abb67-0e34-2d10-78b8-e7246ad93...

Given the complicated nature of ESS, it probably is better to deploy the whole thing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the helpful replies.

We have decided to go for a completely different option:

deploy the ear file through SDM.

dont know if this is a recommended or even the correct option.

we tried with a local test ear file and it deployed alrite....but for ess, with all the dependent dcs etc, dont know if it would work.....

i will keep you posted!!!!

Regards,

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

When you say deploying the whole thing, you are referring to setting up runtime systems in NWDI track and integrating with CTS+ rt?

and out of curiosity, im aware that CTS+ is used to transport the ESS(with customisations). Is CTS+ responsible for deployment as well?

We are going with the option of exporting the SCA file and manually transporting it to CTS Transport request and progressing through environments.

Also, do i need to restart the Portal after i transport the SCA file?

Regards,

J

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

Janan,

When I said "deploy the whole thing", I meant to deploy the entire ESS SC.

Deploying/transporting the ESS SC an be done by either the CMS (you will need to define runtimes in the landscape configurator) of the NWDI or CTS+ (you will need to define the transport paths in SOLMAN). No need to export the ESS SCA.

A portal restart depends on the nature of the change.