Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to change the data type in the characteristic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All

I need some Inputs from you all.

We have some characterisitics maintained, but now we want to change the data type of those characterisitc, but system is not allowing to change the data type in the change mode.

I have checked from my end that some classes are assigned to it. Do we need to delete the classes for changing the data type of there any other way to do so.

Thanks

Naveen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Changing the data type or altering the allowed values in characteristics is not possible and it should not be done. This will lead to lot of problems.

You can neither delete the characteristic if it is already used in different classes and in transactions.

The only option left to you is to create another characteristic with the required data type.

You can hide this characteristic using some dependencies at the configuration profile level. You can use the structure SCREEN_DEP and field INVISIBLE to hide your old characteristic.

This is the fool proof situation, which will help your future and protect the past.

former_member214775
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

I recommend not to change the data type as the characteristic is already used and it can cause inconsistencies.

Options you have:

- delete the characteristics and recreate them with the correct data type

- create new characteristics with the correct data type

See here the allowed changes to characteristics chapter:

http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/print46c/en/data/pdf/CACLCHR/CACLCHR.pdf

Best regards

Tamas