cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap Web AS 6.40 Installation requirements

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a 4.6C backend running on Windows with a Oracle database. We want to install Web AS 6.40 (ABAP and Java) on a separate server, and link it to the 4.6C backend, to web-enable some SAP transactions.

Can anyone enlighten me to the platform requirements for installing Web AS 6.40 on the server?

Can we just install WAS 6.40 Kernel and basis component, or do we need to upgrade our instance to ERP2004 in order to install and use Web As?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi John,

as always, this very much depends on what you want to do. A good start would be a 2 GB machine with a couple of GB disk. Everything elses is sizing and that needs more info.

You may connect from WebAS 6.40 to any BAPI enabled version (down to 3.1, I think) and do the rest of work in 6.40.

Regards,

Benny

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jpolus
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

No you don't have to upgrade your R/3 system. You can install a stand alone Web AS 6.40 and use it to access your 4.6C system.

Hope this helps.

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Benny

But what I really want to know is: If I install Web AS 6.40 on a separate machine, would I need to upgrade my existing 4.6C backend to ERP2004, or will it work on 4.6C?

We just need to web enable some SAP transactions, like for example PM notifications, Purchase Req's etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

If you want to develop browser based interface for these transactions then it is sufficient to install WAS 6.40 as a platform. But it doesn't mean that these transactions will be automatically web enabled.

If your requirement is to just web enable some transactions, you can install ITS (Internaet Transaction Server). Although SAP claims to have made ITS obsolete by providing ITS as part of WAS 6.40 but it has a limitation that ITS service of WAS 6.40 can not access transaction from other systems. I guess a standalone ITS server can work for you, unless you have the budget to develop alternate user interfaces for these transaction using WAS 6.40.

Regards,

Sanjeev

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi John,

WebAS cannot work "ON" 4.6c. It contains what you formelry knew as 'Basis'. And it should be clear that, if at all, the ABAP programs have to run there. But this is not possible as always with different versions.

You need to put the WebAS 6.40 on an extra system and access the programs from there via BAPI.

Regards,

Benny