cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove manually (without SUM) an upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i have a question - is it possible to remove an upgrade without SUM?

For background - due some time problems of serveral projects we have to perform a systemcopy (with backup/restore) of a system what is facing the execution phase (just waiting for the downtime), to build up a new system.

Problem, after the systemcopy the new system has an undefined state regarding the upgrade - so from my point of view - it is impossible to upgrade this system in future nor to remove the upgrade (started on the source) on the target system.

So my question  - is it possible to remove the started upgrade on the target system manually? Is there any documentation what you have to do? I think there are so many changes during preparation and preexcution that it is not so easy possible.

Has anybody experience to this? Some docs about this?

Release SAP ERP 6. EHP4 (NW 7.0) upto SAP 6 EHP7 (NW7.4); on ORACLE 11 (with Linux)

Best regards

Thomas Wassenhoven

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

i have a question - is it possible to remove an upgrade without SUM?

Yes. it is possible.

Delete the upgrade directory and restore the database with the backup taken before the upgrade.

For background - due some time problems of serveral projects we have to perform a systemcopy (with backup/restore) of a system what is facing the execution phase (just waiting for the downtime), to build up a new system.

Problem, after the systemcopy the new system has an undefined state regarding the upgrade - so from my point of view - it is impossible to upgrade this system in future nor to remove the upgrade (started on the source) on the target system.

After restoring the database of another system to the system where you were performing the upgrade, did you start the upgrade from the beginning using a newly extracted SUM tool (directory) ?

Or did you execute the upgrade from the point where the point previous execution was stopped ?

If you are getting the error that the system is in an undefined state when you start the upgrade then check this SAP note 1790486 - SAP_ABA is in an undefined state that is not safe to be upgraded

So my question  - is it possible to remove the started upgrade on the target system manually? Is there any documentation what you have to do? I think there are so many changes during preparation and preexcution that it is not so easy possible.

Has anybody experience to this? Some docs about this?

As this is an EHP update there will be a shadow system involved (if you have selected that strategy). So you will have to drop the shadow system schema from the database and delete the upgrade directory. The SUM upgrade guide has a chapter called "Resetting the Software Update Manager". This is using the SUM tool. There is also an option using the report RSUPGRES. You execute the report and then delete the upgrade directory. For more information read this SAP note.

417670 - Addnl information on resetting upgrade as of Release 6.10

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the information!

After restoring the database of another system to the system where you were performing the upgrade, did you start the upgrade from the beginning using a newly extracted SUM tool (directory) ?

Or did you execute the upgrade from the point where the point previous execution was stopped ?

After the systemcopy the upgrade should be started from the scratch on the new system with a new installed SUM Tool. I just only want to delete the parts of upgrade from the source system.

i guess - that there will be some tables in the schema of the shadow system (that should be deleted) - in the database of the new target and may be there some more tables what have to be cleaned up.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

After the systemcopy the upgrade should be started from the scratch on the new system with a new installed SUM Tool.

Correct.

I just only want to delete the parts of upgrade from the source system.

i guess - that there will be some tables in the schema of the shadow system (that should be deleted) - in the database of the new target and may be there some more tables what have to be cleaned up.

Clarification required:

Did you restore the database backup of a system which is getting upgraded to another system ?

Let's say that system A is getting upgraded and reached the downtime phase. Backup was taken before the downtime phase. You restored this backup to system B.

If this is the case then why don't you wait for the for the upgrade to be completed on the system A and then restore backup taken after the upgrade to system B ?

If you do not want to wait then why don't you use a backup of system A taken before the upgrade of system A ?

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Reagan Benjamin wrote:

Clarification required:

Did you restore the database backup of a system which is getting upgraded to another system ?

Let's say that system A is getting upgraded and reached the downtime phase. Backup was taken before the downtime phase. You restored this backup to system B.

If this is the case then why don't you wait for the for the upgrade to be completed on the system A and then restore backup taken after the upgrade to system B ?

That are the planning difficulties of the implementation project. In the time when we perform the upgrade another project are in need to have a synchronized certification system (on a certain point).

This point is exactly the planned time of downtime - so if we got trouble with upgrade we need this backup (just before starting downtime) to provide the data - if everything is going fine - we have no problem - after upgrade, we perform a backup - and this will be provided.

Because of the fact that our certification system is on the new release already and we won't to downgrade our certificationsystem - we must perform a upgrade anyway.

Best regards

Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

As you already reached downtime phase , it won't be possible to reset the upgrade I guess. But you may still check with SAP support on the same.

Alternate solution: If it is non-Production system, restore from the backup taken before starting the upgrade. This will ensure you have system state as before upgrade started.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori