cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDBC driver installation on Windows

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm VERY confused about JDBC installation and use.  I've been using SQLAnywhere with Windows for number of years now, but I have always used ODBC.  I would like to work with Java tools and I would like to understand about JDBC installation and configuration.   I've tried, but I am totally confused.

How do I install the JDBC driver on a client's machine?     Is there something like the ODBC administrator but for JDBC?   How does a program like iReport - for example - knows which JDBC drivers are installed? 

Thanks,

Edgard Riba

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

SQL Anywhere 16 comes with an compiled HTML Help file which contains this topic:

SQL Anywhere Server - Programming » Database and application deployment » Requirements for deploying client applications » JDBC client deployment

JDBC client deployment 

You must install a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to use JDBC. Version 1.7.0 
or later is recommended.

In addition to a JRE, each JDBC client requires the SQL Anywhere JDBC driver 
or jConnect.

SQL Anywhere JDBC 4.0 driver

To deploy the SQL Anywhere JDBC 4.0 driver, you must deploy sajdbc4.jar which is located in the SQL Anywhere 
installation java folder. This file must be listed in 
the application's classpath. 

In addition, you must deploy a number of JDBC driver support files. The 
following table shows the required files for various platforms. These files 
should be placed in a single directory. The SQL Anywhere installation places 
them all in the operating-system subdirectory of your SQL Anywhere installation 
directory (for example, bin32, bin64, lib32, or lib64). The choice of 32-bit or 64-bit files depends on the 
bitness of your installed Java VM. 

The JDBC driver support files for all platforms are multithreaded.

Platform
Required files

Windows

dbjdbc16.dll

dbicu16.dll

dbicudt16.dll

dblg[LL]16.dll

Linux, Solaris, HP-UX

libdbjdbc16.so.1

libdbtasks16_r.so.1

libdbicu16_r.so.1

libdbicudt16.so.1

dblg[LL]16.res

AIX

libdbjdbc16.so

libdbtasks16_r.so

libdbicu16_r.so

libdbicudt16.so

dblg[LL]16.res

Mac OS X

libdbjdbc16.dylib

libdbtasks16_r.dylib

libdbicu16_r.dylib

libdbicudt16.dylib

dblg[LL]16.res

For Linux and Solaris platforms, you should create a link to the .so.1 files. The link name should match the file name with 
the ".1" version suffix removed. 

A language resource library file should also be included. The table above 
shows files with the designation [LL]. There are several message files each 
supporting a different language. To install support for different languages, you 
have to include the resource files for these languages. Replace [LL] with the language code (for example, 
en, de, jp, and so on). 

jConnect JDBC driver

To deploy the jConnect JDBC driver, you must deploy the following files:

The jConnect driver files. For a version of the jConnect software and the 
jConnect documentation, see  http://www.sybase.com/products/allproductsa-z/softwaredeveloperkit/jconnect. 

When you use a TDS client (either Open Client or jConnect based), you have 
the option of sending the connection password in clear text or in encrypted 
form. The latter is done by performing a TDS encrypted password handshake. The 
handshake involves using private/public key encryption. The support for 
generating the RSA private/public key pair and for decrypting the encrypted 
password is included in a special library. The library file must be locatable by 
the SQL Anywhere server in its system path. For Windows, this file is called dbrsakp16.dll. There are both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of 
the DLL. On Linux and Unix environments, the file is a shared library called libdbrsakp16.so. On Mac OS X, the file is a shared library 
called libdbrsakp16.dylib. The file is not necessary if 
you do not use this feature. 

JDBC database connection URL

Your Java application needs a URL to connect to the database. This URL 
specifies the driver, the computer to use, and the port on which the database 
server is listening. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

For SQL Anywhere, what Breck said.

I found an some documentation for iReport and it has dialogue built in to set up a data source (just like my favourite tool Squirrel SQL).

I also found that iReport has been replaced by Jasper Reports Studio. The setting up of data sources for that is described in chapter 10 of this

Again it has its own ODBC admin like interface. I doubt you'll find an ODBC like thing for Java. The ODBC administrator is built into Windows by Microsoft, who, if I'm not mistaken, developed ODBC.

For Java the way seems to be: put your driver somewhere sensible and point your application at it.

HTH, Paul

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

See JDBC client deployment.

AFAIK there is no JDBC equivalent to the ODBC Administrator; think "DSN-less connections" where the application code specifies all the gory details rather than burying them in the registry.

What is iReport? (google isn't helpful)

0 Kudos

Hi Breck!

There are a number of report writers written in Java.   One of the better ones is called "Jasper Reports". The thing is that Jasper Reports is sort of like the report engine only.   To actually use it you have to write java code.

iReport is like a GUI interface for Jasper Reports.   In the end it is an adhoc report writer.

I want to provide an adhoc report writer for my application.   All my reports are currently built-in and I am looking for an alternative.   Something that I can include alongside with my application which allows me to write reports without modifying the application, and even more importantly allows someone ELSE besides me to write reports 🙂

Best regards,

Edgard

0 Kudos

Hi Breck!

I have a similar question on using Java to connect to SAP SQL Anywhere (current and legacy versions) and I've found a plethora of resources. Unfortunately, none have helped me to solve my troubles, and I tried using your posted JDBC Client Deployment link above, and it is since orphaned (gee it is 8 years old!). Can you provide an updated link to similar information that may help me navigate this sticky situation?

Thanks!

Ron