cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arabic Text in Crystal Report

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having issues in displaying Arabic in crystal report. I am pretty sure that the data stored in Oracle (10g) is okay because when I query the same data using SQL Developer or TOAD, it is fetching and displaying Arabic contents as well. However, when the same query is used in the Crystal report, it is converting Arabic text into some weird Characters like ãÎÊáÝ etc. However, when I type Arabic in Crystal report, it is fine. The only issue is when I retrieve Arabic data from the database in Crystal report and try to show it, it converts it into some weird characters.

I am using Crystal Report 2008 version 12.0.0.x and I used the font of the field to be "Arial Unicode" but still of no use. I even tried changing the font setting from "right to left"; still no use. I have also tried using various fonts like 'Arabic Typesetting", "Arial Unicode", "Arial Narrow" etc but problem is still there.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

You are using the original release of CR 2008.

Find the latest patches and it should resolve the issue.

Closest available is from our Store and the trial version, it will get you to SP 3, use your existing keycode to install it, may require uninstalling first.

SAP - Crystal Reports 30-Day Evaluation

As for getting to SP 7 where it should fix this issue we are still working on making them available...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yesterday I uninstalled 2008 version and installed a trial version of CR 2011. The issue is still there. If I create any text-object and type Arabic literals, they are getting printed and displayed properly; however, while retrieving any Arabic characters from the database, it is getting converted into weird characters. I have even changed the regional language of my PC to Arabic; still no use. I have tried using various fonts e.g., Arabic Typesetting, Arial Unicode etc but it was of no use.

I am pretty sure that the Arabic characters are stored properly in the database. All our other applications e.g., made in VB.Net etc can retrieve the Arabic literals from the database properly and can display/print them.

Any further suggestions?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How are you connecting to Oracle; ODBC? OLEDB? Or? Are you using the latest updates for Oracle? I'd also like you to use SQLCON32 and tell me what it does.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

ODBC, OLDEB etc all comes under Database Type settings while creating new connection. The report I am working on is having "Oracle Server" as the Database Type. Can you please guide me if there is a way in crystal report on how to check the method you use to connect to the database?

Thanks much

0 Kudos

Hi Farhan,

Thanks for the info, Since you are using Oracle and Crystals Native Oracle DB connector it requires a change to the ORA config file. I did quick Google search on how to to get you started so you MUST do more research and talk to your Oracle DBA but here's the basic issue.

You need to tell the Oracle Client to translate/format the characters in the correct syntax:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E12102_01/books/AnyInstAdm784/AnyInstAdmPreInstall18.html

CR is simply passing the characters to the viewer as we get them from the Client. Oracle Client will do everything to the characters so CR can display them properly.

Don

former_member183750
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

I have one question in this regard. If the problem was with ORA config.file then I shouldn't have been able to retrieve the same Arabic data correctly that I am trying to retrieve via Crystal Report; correct??

I am able to use Toad, SQL Developer and even custom VB.Net applications to retrieve Arabic Data and it is getting retrieved/displayed correctly everywhere except Crystal Reports.

0 Kudos

I'm not up on Toad but it uses the Oracle Client OCIW*.dll and it may look at your local settings and configure it on the fly.

All I know is CR requires the Oracle Client to use the Language settings.

You could try it and see what happens....

Don