cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed: Five points an ABAPer expects from Functional Consultants

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't know how Moderators evaluate the blog, or just follow recommendations but a blog with 10 3-star likes, more than 400 visits, tweeted by SCN and useful discussion comments have been deleted with just a single objection. We all have our own perspective, plus it a topic never discussed before here in SCN.

And the icing on the cake ? it gave me a 10 pointer initially. It took it back after some 'intellectual' objection. And finally they deduct another 30 without mentioning the details.

Highly disappointing and dis-courageous.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Naveen,

if you look at your Reputation-tab, you'll find "Expertise" to the left in the navigation. If you go there and flip the tile of "Career Center" you'll see, that the other missing points come from the blog-rejection, too, because you lost the like-points for it, too. So it's all connected, as you loose all earned points for rejected content.

Regards,

Steffi.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

Thanks for the help. I can see the details now.

But those points are never awarded to me, you see. Those people must have clicked on star rating and SCN awarded me -2 for each like ?

At least it should be converted to a UNLIKE icon so that every one will become aware that it has been a rejected blog? I don't get the logic. I suppose, SCN is missing out on this point.

Regards,

Naveen

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean by this:

Those people must have clicked on star rating and SCN awarded me -2 for each like ?

At least it should be converted to a UNLIKE icon so that every one will become aware that it has been a rejected blog?

You got ratings and likes for your blogpost and those were all removed, when the blog got removed. For every like you get 2 points, so for every now deleted like you got 2 points substracted. In your reputation history you can still check out the points you got for the ratings and the blog itself. That are the entries that are now missing the link to the content, but you can see it through the describing text. You got 2 points for each of the ratings, too (for 4* you get 2 points), so those are substracted, too. In the flipped tile the information goes not far enough to see all the removed points for the Career Center, so it's a bit hard to tell, but since you're now at "-27", you can do the math.

Also I don't know, if the new penalty-system got you some more points removed in addition. See this announcement here:

EDIT:

Oh, I think now I know what you mean by "you didn't get the points for the likes". Yes, I don't see in your reputation history, that you got likes for the rejected blog. Well that's strange. oO I don't know, where the unlike comes from, if you really got no likes for the blog (but I think I remember you got some, because I read it, too). So I think the problem will be with the history not the removing of the points.

But I think the real experts can shine some light in this issue, so you get a satisfactory answer. Well, as satisfactory as it can get for you after the rejection of your blog.

Either way, don't take it too hard and more importantly don't take it personally. Read Matthews comment on this (the blog itself is great, too! *g).

Regards,

Steffi.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Steffi,

The sequence of incidence was this:

1. I posted the blog and +10 was credited to me

2. The blog was removed by the Mod due to some recommendation and points were removed (-10)

3. But Blog was still visible to me, i did some modifications to make it more better and re-posted the same blog. This time nothing awarded.

4. In the meanwhile people likes the blog and click star ratings increasing the likes. Nothing credited to me.

5. Finally it was removed by Mod (dont know how). And removing the points never related to it(-30 points).

If not provided, then how come they remove the points which are not relevant.

Please look into it.

Regards,

Naveen

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think, you got penalty-points, because it was (at least) your second rejected blog (the two published versions count as 2 I'd say). Please see the link I posted in my edit above.

Likes and ratings are different things. You got points for the ratings, you can see the information about that in your reputation history (although the points got removed, the history just shows all the adding).

Right now it's really a matter for the SCN team, that can check in the background where your points went. So please have a bit of patience. They are pretty good at this.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Steffi,

Let me know whom to contact for the rectification or the SCN team will contact me automatically. (As they have deducted the never-given star rating points plus penalty I suppose).

Regards,

Naveen

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You posted in their Support-space, so they will definitly see this and answer you here, if they have information (and questions).

And you're welcome.

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveen,

I don't really know what you are complaining about? Is it about

1. Why your blog was deleted? or

2. Why some X number of points were unfairly deducted?

To answer #1, I rejected your blog post because I did not see much value in your blog post. Talking about Technical-Functional Consultants collaboration is not really ground-breaking enough to be posted as a blog here in SCN. Everyone in the industry knows these things for a fact. And even if your intended audience was newbies looking to break into the industry, I can assure you with a fair deal of confidence that your blog content is still stale. A little reading here would provide more information on the topic than what you have provided.

To answer #2, well I don't really know how many points you earned and how many you lost. And I care less. It is a matter that does not concern me as I don't unassign any points. But a question here that begs to be answered is, why would you re-post a blog that was deleted by a Moderator for lacking "value"?

pk

PS: To rebut your claims of popularity of your blog: When you have followers like who's only SCN activity has been to comment on your blogs, statistics like these are not surprising.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Kishan,

Point #1 I agree as everyone has its own perspective of looking at things. There are N number of blogs which one can categorize as not so 'Ground-Breaking' as you define. Still I agree with you respecting action from a mod.

Point #2 You mentioned it correct that you cannot do anything for it and its none of your concern (as you said above), then please don't take pain for answering the question not raised for you. Let the concern people handle the issue as it clearly shows a miscalculation. I am waiting for it to be rectified.

(Just a more clarification: It was not an all together a fresh re-post, when I saw the post there was an option to publish it. My question: shouldn't the content be removed once deleted by mod from the place ?)

Regards,

Naveen

PS: The blog's stats (that I mentioned in start, right there on the top) speaks of big picture in itself. I don't need to comment on others behalf.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveen Vishal wrote:

Point #2 You mentioned it correct that you cannot do anything for it and its none of your concern (as you said above), then please don't take pain for answering the question not raised for you. Let the concern people handle the issue as it clearly shows a miscalculation. I am waiting for it to be rectified.

Why should it be rectified? I don't see any compelling reason to override Kishan's decision - in fact I agree with it.

As regards the your perceived value of your blog, please see my other reply.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

agreed to the points of miscalculation if you have read the messages posted above. Let me put it again for you in short.

Points on the star ratings were never awarded to me but were deducted. So that is the call for rectification of the error done.

Detailed steps of incidences that has happened is also defined in above trailing discussion with Steffi, which she had understood perfectly.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Any points for any likes will be removed. Additionally you will have penalty points as detailed below.

I don't know how many likes you had, nor no I do know how many blogs or documents (prior to this one), if any, you've had rejected.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveen Vishal wrote:

Steffi Warnecke agreed to the points of miscalculation

Umm, no she didn't.

I wrote, that it's strange, that you can see those likes removed in the flipped tile, but that you can't see the addition of the likes in the reputation history and that this is something, that the SCN team (or probably better the gamification team) can check out to see, what's going on there.

And I remember seeing some likes on your blog post, when I looked at it, so some of those removed likes came from the deletion of that specific blog.

Just wanted to make that clear again.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

With agreeing I meant something looking strange that you also figures out and needs to be reviewed / corrected.

Please don't mind if I miss communicated myself.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No worries. That's why I cleared that up.

The only strange behaviour I see is really the thing with the likes in the flipped tile/the reputation history.

You got 5 penalty points for 2 rejected blogs and you got 2 x 10 points removed for the same two rejected blogs. But that's not a bug, that the mechanism behind the gamification.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Except for the debit of 10 x 2 = 20 4star rating points.

You should not deduct the points which have never been credited on 4star ratings.

That's what was strange what we all have come to conclusion.

EDIT:

So what is missing here is 10 x 2 = 20 4star rating points in credit (missed when 4star ratings were given).

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

kishan P wrote:

To answer #1, I rejected your blog post because I did not see much value in your blog post. Talking about Technical-Functional Consultants collaboration is not really ground-breaking enough to be posted as a blog here in SCN. Everyone in the industry knows these things for a fact.

So glad kishan said it and I don't have to be a "meanie". Phew!

I do recall reading the blog and rolling my eyes for the same reason. It's a bit strange, Naveen, that you believe this hasn't been discussed on SCN before because it most certainly was, but most likely in the Coffee Corner. By the way, anyone is more than welcome to open a discussion there on pretty much any subject (no points will be awarded for that though).

There is a very good blog series right here on SCN (first part is here) on how to build better blogs, it's highly recommended.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thanks for the blog link, Its surely is a good guidance. Hope next time you don't have to roll your eyes.

Btw, points miscalculation issue is still not resolved for the blog and no response in that regards have been received from SCN. I am still not touching on anything here so that points remains 'as it is', making it easier for SCN guys to observe / recalculate on the issue.

Waiting for it to get resolved soon, hopefully.

Regards,

Naveen

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

For this you must open a support ticket by e-mailing sapnetwork@sap.com.

Include the URL for the blog post in question.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the guidance , but the blog post in question has been removed by the mod.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveen Vishal wrote:

Don't know how Moderators evaluate the blog, or just follow recommendations but a blog with 10 3-star likes, more than 400 visits, tweeted by SCN and useful discussion comments have been deleted with just a single objection. We all have our own perspective, plus it a topic never discussed before here in SCN.

And the icing on the cake ? it gave me a 10 pointer initially. It took it back after some 'intellectual' objection. And finally they deduct another 30 without mentioning the details.

Highly disappointing and dis-courageous.

First of all, read this blog and the comments on it:

3-star means "average". Tweeting by SCN is automatic, not manual. You got a few "likes". Now, 400 visits means nothing in particular - except perhaps an interesting title. What matters is the feedback given. Of those who visited, it appears from your own statistics, that very few were impressed enough to give any star rating or like it. On balance then, I think it fair to say that contrary to your opinion, your blog was not in fact valued that much by the community.

You've made an assumption that there's been a single objection. You have absolutely no grounds for assuming that. Kishan may have simply read your blog in the course of his moderator duty and decided that it needed to be rejected without anyone else objecting. Or a hundred people may have objected. What matters though is the moderator's opinion. In the moderator's opinion, your blog did not add value to the site as a whole, nor the space. (For what it's worth, having read your blog via the google cache, I agree).

The point deduction is automatic. Any points received from the blog are removed. If someone has more than one blog or document rejected, then there is an additional penalty. No-one is manually reducing your points. That's how the system works, and the penalties were publicised to the community.

But thank-you for raising your concerns. It is absolutely correct to question moderator decisions, since we don't get it right all the time, and transparency is essential. It is disappointing to have content rejected, but it is part of the drive to improve the overall quality and utility of SCN as a community.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Please have a look into the case as 3-star rating points were never awarded to me. So the calculation goes like +10 for posting the blog , -10 on its deletion, +0 on re-posting(not a fresh posting again) the same and +0 in 10 3-star ratings (10x2), and finally -30 on its final deletion from the mod. (it was 348 initially and now after all incidences its 318 as you can see).

Deducting what is not given is what I clearly see here.

Regards,

Naveen

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you post a blog then you get 10 points,

if it is rejected then those 10 points are reduced, plus 1 penalty point for the first rejection

if you repost the blog after rejection, instead of creating a new one, then you do not get any points.

However, if this reposted blog is again rejected, then you are loosing 10 points for a rejected blog since the system is not checking what was awarded previously, it is just based on the content.

Hence minus 10 points. plus 5 points penalty for the second rejection.

Your blog had two 4star ratings, which is worth 2 points each. They got removed as well.

3star rating do not get any points and cannot be seen in your reputation tab either

This explains a good portion of your reduction. And I only assumed best case, that you never had another blog or document rejected, otherwise the penalty points would be higher as assumed.

Your expertise tab for career space shows 10 times 2 points reduction for removing a like from a blog post.

I have no trace to the origin. Maybe the gamification team can see it from the logs.

Had you eventually a second blog in the career space which was rejected, maybe already months ago, which was eventually physically deleted now?

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Your overall observation is almost perfect except the 4star rating calculation where the issues lies.

The issue is re-posting (not fresh re-posting) the same blog must have blocked the 10 4star rating points crediting to my account. Those 4star points were never awarded but deducted with final physical deletion.

I don't have any previous rejections or physical deletions to my name as I have recently become active in SCN apart from posting questions previously.

The main issue which is visible is the 4star rating points debited without crediting.

Regards,

Naveen

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, so your concern is that there may be a bug in point awarding system that manifests like this.

1) Post a blog

2) Get it rejected

3) Republish it.

4) Get a four-star award (no points, because it was republished)

5) Blog rejected

6) 10 additional points removed, because that's what a 4-star award gives you normally.

Could it not be the 10 points you had removed in the ABAP space though?

EDIT: 4-star gives you 2 points. Not 10. Ergo, the 10 points you lost were nothing to do with 4-star.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Exactly Matthew,

It looks like a bug causing the behavior.

In ABAP space it nullified the given points, that's fine. No impact on this issue.

(With 10 4-star rating points i meant to say 10 x 2 = 20 points for 6th point not 10.)

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, thankfully, if it is a bug, it's not going to manifest very often. So I'm sure it will be given due priority in the list of issues that need fixing.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

And hopefully they fix my due credit points before that (with additional points for bug finding ). I still will wait for its addressing and correction.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't push it.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveen Vishal wrote:

And hopefully they fix my due credit points before that (with additional points for bug finding ). I still will wait for its addressing and correction.

While the SCN team is "fixing" your "unfairly deducted" points, let's also hope they fix these points that you have "unfairly earned":

copied from

And,

copied from

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was just about to pimp my own blog post - thanks Matthew for saving me the trouble

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks pk, I've fixed that side of the points just now.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

You are right ,

Those answers are also not as much "Ground Breaking" (as you defined in your previous post) as you wanted answers to be. You have also mentioned that you are not at all concern about my points, but it seems you are the most interested person regarding the points.

Instead of taking it personally and minding it so much and taking discussion to such a level; given such a high responsibility of being a Moderator, you should be helping normal users like me in here who are just starting to be familiar with SCN.

Its really highly disappointing to see a mod to behave like this and taking it so personal.

Regards,

Naveen

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The answer were not only not groundbreaking, they were also direct plagiarism of someone else's work. That is absolutely forbidden and can lead to your account being deleted.

On that basis, I recommend to the global moderators that no points be re-credited to your account even if the original deduction was in error.

Some advice: "When you're in a hole, stop digging".

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice.