cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get the syntax for a table defined function to work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Specifically I'm trying to use a table type definition in my function.

CREATE TYPE "MYSCHEMA"."TT_MYTABLE" AS TABLE (

"Field" varchar(12)

)

CREATE FUNCTION "MYSCHEMA"."MYFUNCTION"()

RETURNS TABLE ("MYSCHEMA"."TT_MYTABLE")

LANGUAGE SQLSCRIPT

All the function examples use an actual field definitions and not an predefined table type.  I've tried the above and a bunch of other variations but I get a syntax error on all of them.

This is the documentation page;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_hanaplatform/helpdata/en/20/d42e77751910149f0ff6b879b1290f/content.htm

They don't show any examples using the table types and I can't seem to make sense of " <datatype> ::= <sql_type> | <table_type>".

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Refer

and

Hope it helps

Regards

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Neither one of those pages shows how to use a table type definition.  I'm going to be creating a number of functions that return the same table definition. That's why I want to use a table type instead of actually defining the table in each function. That keeps the table definition on one place for all the functions that use it.

Joe Goldthwaite.

sagarjoshi
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If you read the grammar correctly then I think it is not possible. Table UDF does not allow return table type that refers to another structure type definition but only elementary sql_type

I think what grammar you refering is from input parameters

Table Functions must return a table whose type is defined by <return_table_type>. And Scalar Funcitons must return scalar values specified in <return_parameter_list>.

Defines the output parameters

<return_table_type> ::= TABLE ( <ret_column_list> ) 

Defines the structure of the returned table data.

<ret_column_list> ::= <ret_column_elem>[{, <ret_column_elem>}...] 

Defines the list of columns returned from the function.

<ret_column_elem> ::= <column_name> <sql_type>

<column_name> ::= <identifier>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sagar.  I appreciate the input.  It turns out you can do it and I was able to figure it out. You just leave off the TABLE and declaration like this:

CREATE FUNCTION MY_SCHEMA.MY_FUNCTION()

RETURNS MY_SCHEMA.TT_MY_TABLE_TYPE

Where TT_MY_TABLE_TYPE is a predefined table type.  It works like a charm.

sagarjoshi
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Good to know that this syntax works. Somehow I always thought that TABLE () is mandatory for Table UDF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Me too! That's why I had so much trouble figuring out the syntax. I spent hours on it. This learning curve really wears you down.

Answers (0)