cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log Messages from Transaction Event Logger

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have 4 instances of MII v12.1 and within a transaction I want to add a message to the log when the transaction runs so I can view it through the message logger. All 4 MII instances were installed by the same consultant a few years ago so there "should" be no differences in the log configs. On 3 of the instances this is working fine - I have created a very simple transaction with one Event Logger action configured with a message "Test Message" and when I execute the transaction I see the correct entry in the log viewer. On the fourth however, although the transaction executes without error I am not seeing anything in the viewer for this event. I am using the standard "last 24 hours" log viewer with no filters and no specific log locations selected, and no customisations. I am seeing other system generated messages. I found some documentation about logging and the viewer and I found the Netweaver log config but as far as I can see it looks consistent between the instance which is working and the one which is not working. Is there some other config which needs to be done to enable Event Logging from transactions? My user has the same access across all instances. Any guidance would be appreciated. I attach a screen shot of what I am expecting to see (taken from one of the instances which is working).

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have no idea what caused this but it seems that a restart of Netweaver has resolved the problem. I am now seeing the .\log\applications_00.log in the pattern for all sub levels under /Applications and the logging is now working ok.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Additional info - I have now found that if I set the Event Type to Error on the Event Logger transaction  action then I do see an error log in the log viewer. I don't see any log if the Event Type is set to WARN or INFO. In the Log Configuration, under Applications/XMII/XAcute the Event category is configured as Info (like all the others). I have changed this to All but still see no log for INFO type events.

former_member193328
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Richard

In addition to the setting for Logging Categories you might need to also set the trace lever for Tracing Location.

In the drop down marked Show in Log Configuration page you will see option Tracing Location. Choose this and enter the filter as com.sap.xmii.xacute and hit enter. Select the same from the pop up. Set it to Info and apply to all children.

This should enable you to see all messages of Info category.

Best regards

Partha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Partha

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried this and unfortunately it makes no difference. I also checked on the other instances and found they have their tracing levels all set to error, not Info. I have also noticed that on the instance which is working, in the System Configuration section at the bottom of the Log Config page - for Applications and all sub categories I see the entry .\log\applications_00.log in the Pattern column. On the instance which is not working I see that entry for the Applications root but not for any of the sub categories (even after selecting Copy to subtree). I cannot see where I can set this value (there is no modify function available, even under Administrator login).

Also, when I look at the log messages which have generated when setting the Event Type to Error on the instance which is not working, it shows one entry and the Category and Location columns show <com.sap.xmii.bls.executables.action.logging.LoggingActions>. When I generate an event with type Error on the instance which is working I get 2 log messages, one with the Category and Location <com.sap.xmii.bls.executables.action.logging.LoggingActions> and the other with Category /Applications/XMII/Xacute/Event and Location <com.sap.xmii.bls.executables.action.logging.LoggingActions>.

I guess that the .\log\applications_00.log should be showing for all subtree items under Applications and because it is not then the messages are not going into any application log. Not sure how to fix this however.

I have also reset to the default configuration and it does not change the above.

Best Rgds

Richard