cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dispatcher SID - to be unique in an estate or not?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi commmunity

Simple question --- a SAP Web Dispatcher has a SID like a full SAP instance does

Is there any specific reason to make each WD instance a unique SID?

I.e. in our landscape SAP ABAP/Java stack SIDs are of course unique, but SMD agent instance IDs purposefully are not and each ID indicates a category of installation

How are you all doing it out there in the wide world?

Cheers,
Jamie / doonan_79

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I know the SAPSYSTEM parameter (00..99) determines the shared memory segment of Web Dispatcher and it indeed needs to be unique. The parameter SAPSYSTEMNAME only makes Web Dispatcher look for the default profile should the pf=<profile> parameter be omitted (which is not the case if WD is started as a service), I don't think it has any other purpose. See the comments of the example profile.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think there is a technical reason to keep web dispatcher SIDs unique, unless they are sharing the same host.  I like keeping them unique to avoid any possible confusion.  (I do the same for the diagnostics agents.)  I also like to keep the names similar to the systems they are dispatching for.  For instance, I have a portal landscape with development (EPD), test (EPQ) and production (EPP).  The corresponding web dispatchers are EWD, EWQ and EWP, so I can tell just by the name which portal system they are serving.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Jamie,

you should just follow the documentation and notes for the web dispatcher installation. Otherwise SAP will not support your web dispatcher installation in case of troubles with it.

908097 - SAP Web Dispatcher: Release, installation, patches, documentation

The web dispatcher has to create its shared memory segment. If its SID is not unique, should several web dispatchers share the same segment?

Does SMD agent create its own shared memory segment? Or it just attaches to an existing one?

regards,
Alwina