Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update SAP EHP1 for NetWeaver 7.3 Java stack only via support package stack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

A question on Netweaver 7.3 Java stack.

Is there anyone using the SAP EHP1 for NetWeaver 7.3 Java stack only? I am using it and I wish to update it via support package stack. However, the SAP info () states the followings:

Implementation and maintenance of SAP EHP1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.3 via SP Stacks is only possible via SAP Solution Manager's Maintenance Optimizer (MOPZ).

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=00200682500000002672&_EVENT=DISPLAY&_SCENARIO=0110003...   

From what I understand, since MOPZ only available on the ABAP stack, I am unable to use MOPZ. Hence, there is no way to update the Java stack via support package stack. So I can only update the AS Java via downloading individual patches in form of SCA files from "Support Packages and Patches". This too I am not so sure that I would be able to install them via Software Update Manager (SUM).

Is this understanding correct? I hope I am wrong about this.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You will need to use the SUM tool for the EHP installation. You will need to create a stack file using Solution Manager MOPZ which will basically read the present system patch level and let you decide the target stack level.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

Thanks for your reply.

For what I understand the problem is Solution Manager MOPZ can only be executed from the SAP GUI in ABAP stack. But my server only has the Java stack. I don't even have the NWDI, just the SAP Netweaver 7.3 AS Java. Hence, I don't have the Solution Manager MOPZ. Is there a version of Solution Manager MOPZ for Java stack only?

I only install this AS Java as in the attached image below:

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Solution Manager is a completely different system, a dual stack system. You plug SAP systems into the Solution Manager system and then create the stack file using the Solution Manager Maintenance Optimizer (MOPZ) for the system to be upgraded. If you have a Java system and if you want to upgrade the Java system then you will need to first have a Solution Manager system and connect the Java system to the Solution Manager system and create a stack file for the upgrade. Download the files based on the stack file and start the upgrade. Without a stack file you cannot upgrade the system.

Without a Solution Manager system you cannot create a stack file.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

Thanks for the info. I think I have to download and install the the Solution Manager Maintenance Optimizer (MOPZ) first.

Thanks

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Almost.  Maintenance Optimizer isn't a separate product, it's built-in to Solution Manager.  So you need to install Solution Manager (on a separate server from the Java system you're trying to update), and then configure System Landscape Directory (SLD) and Landscape Management Database (LMDB, and then finally Maintenance Optimizer (MOpz).  MOpz depends upon LMDB and SLD being correctly configured.  Unfortunately, you'll find this is quite a lot of detailed work just to apply a single support package stack, but once you've done it you should then be setup to maintain your systems going forward.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info. I think Solution Manager is not gonna work for my environment. I don't have SLD or NWDI. I just have SAP Netweaver AS Java only. So, I guess I will try to patch by the patch SCA files instead.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

NWDI is only needed if you intend to modify SAP-delivered Java components, so it's not relevant to the discussion here.  SLD can be installed as part of Solution Manager (and is, by default), so you don't specifically have to go install one on its own.

In order to download the SCA files, you must first 'approve' them.  To do this, you need to set up a 'maintenance transaction' in MOpz, in Solution Manager.  So, without Solution Manager, you are going to have a hard time downloading those files.  It is possible with some technical workarounds to get the files approved without using MOpz, but I think you still have to have a Solution Manager system to do it, and in any case, it's pretty deeply technical and not the way SAP intends you to work.

In short, if you want to apply a support package stack to your system, you need to install Solution Manager.

Why do you think it won't work for your environment?  Granted, it's a lot of work to get it set up, and it does mean you need another server (or VM), but that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for info. Now I know the SLD is not the SLD in NWDI.

I will look the details of Solution Manager + MOPZ installation and setup.

Thanks,

AtulKumarJain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lam Jack,

You can use soluction manager to generate stack.xml file and download the suggested SPS and other s/w from  SMP.

And using latest SUM tool you can update the SPS .

BR

Atul