cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartform EAN128 barcode scanning problem with Datamax Printer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

I've created label with EAN128 barcode. If I print that label in A4 paper I can scan this barcode without any problem. But when I print with damatax printer seemingly it is printing perfect but when I try to scan barcode the hand terminal does not react.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

which SAP device type (+ SAP printer driver) are you using for the Datamax printer?

As far as I know, there is no native support for Datamax label printers in SAP. Or are you printing via SAPWIN device type and a WIndows printer driver for the Datamax?

Regards,

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using SAPWIN. Because I am not printing labels in alternate mode. But the big problem is I've just tried to print it from zebra and result is same. I can only scan this barcode from A4 printers.

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

When you say "A4 printers", did you print that A4 page also with a SAPWIN device type or did you use another device type (e.g. PCL or PS)?

A barcode printed via SAPWIN should be scannable on any printer, provided the Windows printer driver correctly converts the barcode bitmap to the printout (e.g. not producing scaling issues) and you have enough "quiet zone" around the barcode.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes , I also used SAPWIN to print from A4 printers. If you use Code 39 there isn't any problem with scanning on datamax or zebra printers label. The problem is Code 128 barcode printing. If I had problem with generating Ean128 code i couldn't scan it from A4 printer. I thought there was a problem with ribbon so I changed it with the best ribbon in market but it also didn't work. 

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

ok, if you also have a Zebra printer, can you try to use a LZPLx device type for printing the label on the Zebra? This way we eliminate the Windows printer driver as a possible cause.

There are three dev types LZEB2, LZEB3 and LZEB6, for Zebra printers with resolution 203, 300  and 600 dpi. Use the one matching your printer's res.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It didnt work. I have also just tried to print same label from bartender with ITF code and it is working perfectly. So the problem is definitely not related to driver.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have printed from ZEBRA with LZEB2 device type and it worked today. But there isnt device type about 200 dpi datamax.  As I understand if you use EAN128 code you need 200dpi printers to scan it. So is there any advice to printing barcode with 200dpi on datamax printer ?

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

LZEBxx device types use the native Zebra ZPL-II printer language driver LZPL built into the SAP kernel. So by using it you create native Zebra printer commands directly in the SAP system, no need for a Windows printer driver.

There exists no such equivalent device types (and driver in SAP) for Datamatrix printer language (whatever that language looks like). So the only option you have would be using SAPWIN and use Windows printer driver for Datamax label printer, which you say does not work.

Label printers have a native resolution which in case of Zebra is 203, 300 or 600 dpi; I do not know about Datamax but I am sure they have one or several native resolutions. Since SAP has a built-in driver LZPL for Zebra, the driver must know the resolution of the printer model it is used with, this information comes from the device type. By using LZEB2, you basically tell the LZPL driver in SAP that your printer has 203dpi res.

No, a Code128 barcode should print correctly on whatever resolution a label printer has, it would print correctly on a 600dpi Zebra when you use the LZEB6 device type.

When using SAPWIN, you should not care about the resolution of the label printer, the Windows pritner driver takes care of it. Maybe check the driver settings in Windows?