Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Editable SALV Day

hardyp180
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

http://scn.sap.com/thread/733872

Dear Programmers,

On the 8th of February 2008 James Hawthorne started the discussion (link above) as to why SAP does not give the CL SALV TABLE the option to be editable, as CL GUI ALV GRID is.

There is no need to re-iterate why this would be a good thing, it is blindingly obvious.

As can be seen from the thread a very large number of ABAP programmers support this idea, indeed I would be amazed if even one, anywhere in the world, outside of SAP development, would NOT think this would be good.

I wanted to post a reply to this thread, but in a bitter twist of irony, that thread is no longer editable, rather like the SALV itself.

I propose that in recognition of the long standing campagn on this issue, that the day that discussion was first posted, the 8th of February, be declared "International Editable SALV Day". This year, 2014, was it's sixth birthday, and it will be aged seven before you know it.

I have made a note in my diary to post a blog on the 8th of February 2015 celebrating this day, and I encourage any other supporters of this scheme to do likewise. Ater another twnety years of this, who knows? SAP might start listening to the developer base.

Cheersy Cheers

Paul

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is funny.

I wanted to post a reply to this thread, but in a bitter twist of irony, that thread is no longer editable, rather like the SALV itself.

One member said "To be fair, the V stands for Viewer, not Editor" and other replied "there must come an class CL_SALE_TABLE for the editing".

I then read Naimesh's blog and comments on it.

There was a comment from Rudolf Niessen saying:

The object model is not!!!!  designed für input.

In the editable grid special attributes are set, special events are raised (see note 695910) and there are methods which are not passed or implemented by the object model.

If you are making the grid ready for input as described above, you will miss a lot of needed influences in the object model like the event  CHECK_CHANGED_DATA .

So, the classes of the object model like CL_SALV_TABLE and CL_SALV_MODEL_LIST are set final or privat on purpose !

Because people are starting to do what you are proposing and are running into trouble and then asking us for help, I would recomment to close this blog.

Regards Rudi Niessen

Development Manager ALV

I had a feeling that Rudolf had created SCN account specifically to post this reply.

The dates are a bit inconsistent there.

His bio says member since: Jun 6, 2013

The reply timestamp says: Aug 20, 2009 10:55 AM

0 Kudos

Manish Kumar wrote:

The dates are a bit inconsistent there.

His bio says member since: Jun 6, 2013

The reply timestamp says: Aug 20, 2009 10:55 AM

The dates get messed up if you change the S... user (e.g. due to the job change). My profile also has the later SCN join date than the actual one (somewhere in 2006?) and you'd find my posts older than that date. One has to email SCN support specifically to fix that and I just gave up at some point.

0 Kudos

I lived in Germany and generally people there do not like to break the rules and are really puzzled why other people would want to do so.

So if the rule is that the SALV is not editable, then that is that, once that's been made clear by an official from SAP then naturally everybody will stop trying to work around this. SAP even changed the class to disbale one of the workarounds.

Sadly in different countries there are different attitudes and in Australia we have no compunctions at all about breaking the rules if it gets the job done. That's probably why a surprising number of scientific breakthroughs originate from Australia.

In the same way that people are not going to start using Solution Manager just on the grounds that "they should" if someone wants to make the SALV editable they will, on that discussion above there are at least two workarounds, I am sure dozens of "customers" are working on this right now.

Can it be that difficult for SAP Development to make the connection between people doing "naughty" workarounds to make the SALV editable and the possibility that lots of people might actually WANT this functionality? What was that about listening to the customers and the "empathy" SAP is supposed to have as part of it's "Design Thinking?"

It is rather like the obvious bug which was that you could not have a purchase order with multiple account assignment that posted at the time of goods receipt. For time immemorial SAP claimed that was not a bug but "working as designed" despite every single customer wanting this to be fixed, on the grounds that it is a very dodgy accounting practice to post different costs for virtually identical business transactions at different times due to a vagary of your computer system. It's not quite false accounting, but it's pushing it. Anyway EVENTUALLY SAP came out with a fix for this in an enhancement pack.

So there is precedent, and might I humbly suggest to the red nosed SAP ALV development team that the easiest way to stop people doing workarounds to to remove the need for a workaround in the first place, by having the functionality as standard.

Cheersy Cheers

Paul