cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Kernel 721latest pacth level update in HA System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are upgrading the 721 kernel latest patch upgrade in our HA system.

I am aware of the kernel upgrade steps in stanalone system.

But now thing is in our case is High Availability system (cluster ) ,Please correct me if I ma wrong in below steps.

1) Download SAPEXE& SAPEXEDB files from service market place

2) Take the backup of old Kernel

3) After that uncar downloaded file using SAPCAR comand

4) Stop Both nodes CI & DI

5)copy the executables in DVBEMGS$$/exe  (  CI)

6) copy the exutables in DI --Please suggest which location we need to copy in DI

7) after that system up

Please suggest any thing wrong above and correct me .

Please share what are the things needs to be considers for HA system.

Adsvance Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Cinu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before kernel upgrade, please apply SAP note 1610716 as per SAP note  1713986 - Installation of kernel 721 (EXT). From my experience, with Kernel 721 SP level 201 does not give any dump. But when we used 721 SPlevel 229, we got ABAP dump in SM66 and ST03. We applied the note and run a report RUT_NOTE_1610716 to solve the dump error.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Cinu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thnaks for your prompt responses ,As of now i ma doing only patch upgrade only (721 kernel latest patch) i need to update saphostagent and NTCLUSTER - ntclust.sar mandatory ?

Please confirm me I need to run SAPCPE manually or if i start the sap system after replacing the new kernel files in /sapmnt/SID/exe location it automatically copy the  the kernel files to the local executables location which is /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGSxx/exe for the CI and /usr/sap/SID/Dxx/exe for the dialog instances.

Please suggest and apart from any other things I need to consider before kernle patch upgrade.

Advance Thanks

Cinu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If SAPCPE script is not working, copy new kernel files from /sapmnt/SID/exe to instance directories and do not forget to place rfcexec and rfcexex.sec files back into kernel directory.

cinu

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Thanks for your prompt response,it means no need to run sapcpe manullay after repalcing the new kernel files right if any sapcpe not work then we need to copy the new kernel from exe to instance directirories (Both CI and DB)

rfcexe.sec and rfcexec file i need to copy from old kernel directoy to new kerenl diretory ?

Why we need to copy those files i think it will come new kernel right?

As of now i ma doing only patch upgrade only (721 kernel latest patch) i need to update saphostagent and NTCLUSTER - ntclust.sar mandatory ?

Please suggest and correct IF i am wrong in above .

Advance |Thnaks

Cinu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try to run SAPCPE script and check your instance exe directory, whether it is getting populaled by kernel files. If not copy all files manually maintaing same permissions as well.

Yes, from old kernel backup, copy rfc files to new kernel directory as it does not comes with your kernel. Remember these rfc files haldles existng rfcs if any. So it must be copied before running  saproot.sh script.

regards

Cinu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply ,Please confirm me belwo point as well

As of now i ma doing only patch upgrade only (721 kernel latest patch) i need to update saphostagent and NTCLUSTER - ntclust.sar mandatory ?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. If you are already installed the SAPhostagent you no need to do anything

2. Is the cluster system on Windows 2003 or 2008 ? if the MSCS 2008 you no need to do anything

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thnaks for your response .

It is a windows 2008 cluster

Advance Thanks

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Basis,

the start of sapcpe is configured in the profiles (start profile in the older releases, in release 7.21 you should check, if you have still them in DIR_PROFILE directory). The entry for sapcpe looks like:

#

# Copy SAP Executables

#

Execute_00 = immediate $(DIR_CT_RUN)/sapcpe$(FT_EXE) pf=$(_PF)

So you have just to restart the system after you have exchanged kernel executables in DIR_CT_RUN directory. sapcpe writes its log file sapcpe.log in the instance working directory in ST11 and you have to check it for any errors after the system was started.

SAPHOSTAGENT is independent from R/3 system, you can patch it at any time and it is not necessary to patch it together with the SAP system. In a cluster SAPHOSTAGENT should be installed on the both cluster nodes.

regards,
Alwina

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Basis,

please have a look at the note:

953653 - Rolling Kernel Switch

regards,
Alwina

former_member234304
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Basis Team

Kindly refer the SAP Note   1713986 - Installation of kernel 721 (EXT)

and refer the kernel upgrade steps SCN link -

If you are using  IGS you have download IGSexe.sar file SMP

BR

SS

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

you should have a central executable directory, which is configured in the parameter DIR_CT_RUN, you should exchange the kernel executables only in this directory and just restart the whole system. In the profiles the start of sapcpe should be configured, sapcpe will copy the executables from DIR_CT_RUN directory to the local executable directories of the instances (configured in the parameter DIR_EXECUTABLE). In sapcpe.log you can check, if all executables were copied succesfully. If it is a system running on a unix server you may need to check executables, which have root as owner, if the files were copied and if the files have still root as owner.

regards,
Alwina

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You need to put the new kernel files in the /sapmnt/SID/exe location and then trigger sapcpe to replicate the kernel files to the local executables location which is /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGSxx/exe for the CI and /usr/sap/SID/Dxx/exe for the dialog instances.