Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PI 7.11 - Query regarding ESR behavior

arkesh_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi PI Experts,

I have 2 queries regarding the general behavior of SAP PI 7.11 SP08

1) I have 3 environments - Development, QA and Production. I transport a Data Type (DT_Target) from Development to QA and then to Production. The object ID and Object version ID of the DT_Target in Development and Production environments are the same. The date-time stamp in properties section of the object are also the same. The versions are also the same. BUT the problem in the Data Type of Production is that there is a field EMP_ID, which is not getting reflected. I can clearly see the field EMP_ID in Development environment but I do not see the field in Production Environment.

Please let me know if I can call this as a "System Bug" of PI 7.11 ?

2) Continuing with the above scenario in question-1, the Data Type (DT_Target) is used in a Message Type (MT_Target) and then in the target side of a Message Mapping (MM_Source_to_Target). EMP_ID field was not mapped earlier in the target structure in the development environment. I now map it and transport ONLY the Message Mapping to Production. During runtime, will the field EMP_ID appear in the target in Production Environment ? I request you to please provide justification in case you say Yes/No to this question. Also, please let me know if we can call it as a "system bug" in case the field appears on the target during runtime?

I thank you in advance for replying to this post and clarifying my doubt.

Thanks,

Arkesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arkesh,

Bugs can occur in any system and PI is no exception. However, looking at the issue faced by you, I have seen a similar case where the object version was showing as different but at run-time it worked fine. The object did exists in the cache.As we usually do, cache was to be blamed.

Check if there are any conflicts in the system. Sometimes, locked objects if transported creates these kind of issues.

Try to run a dummy unit test in production ESR after you have imported the message mapping TR mapping Employee id field and see if it gets populated.

A new TR is always an option.

Ambrish

arkesh_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish,

Thank You for taking time out to respond to my query.

Your answer has confused me a bit.

I was expecting a more straight forward and specific response to get my understanding clarified on behavior of ESR.

Thanks,

Arkesh

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In 99% cases, from my experience, I don't see erratic behavior in ESR or ID.

When we get bugs, we try to decipher the reason. Sometimes we can crack the reason and sometimes fail to...

To be honest, I don't see a straight forward response. May be other members can provide one.

cheers

Ambrish

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arkesh,

Was the object in Dev developed, UTed and transported further to Prod or were there changes and then the final version was transported. Also is it a single structure or multiple structures comprising your data type. If multiple, please check all these individual structures have been transported,

Regards,

Sriram

arkesh_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Thank you for your response.

The DT is a nested structure and it was migrated from Development environment to Production Environment. Changes were done in the DT structure when it was in the development phase. EMP_ID field was not migrated to production after it was added.

As mentioned to Venkat, the issue can be resolved but I am trying to understand the behavior of ESR and see if this abnormal behavior can be termed as "PI System Bug" when the Updated Mapping is moved to Production without the updated DT ?

Thanks,

Arkesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have faced the similar problem earlier .Mine was due to version conflict.

In Dev/ESR-->check the transport list and DT objects in it and compare the same with PROD/ESR/TR list and DT object in it.

Also check the history of the data type and see one before has EMP_ID field or not .If

it has then put it in change mode and activate it .In our case we did the same and worked for us .Re transport didn't worked for us .

Regards

Venkat

arkesh_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule and replying to my query.

I have faced such issues in the past and resolved it.

I am trying here to understand the ESR Behavior and see if this is a "PI System bug" as -

1. No version conflict is found.

2. All the version IDs and Object IDs are same in both the environments.

3. Cache is up-to-date.

Please let me know if this abnormal behavior can be termed as System Bug or not?

Thanks,

Arkesh