cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to call data from backend ECC system in Gateway Hub System?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have a scenario where the GR process has to be done on Mobile app. We have a SMP 3.0 and Netweaver gayeway deployed as Hub.

I really need quick pointers on how should we go about  this?

My queries are mentioned below:

1.I don't see SAP data in Gateway system.So will we need to create RFCs in ECC and call them in Gateway system.

2. Will we need to install IW_BEP in backend system? Can someone explain its real purpose?

3. How do we do our data modelling? How do i define it if I don't have my SAP data structures in Gateway system.

Your guidance will really be appreciated.

Regards,

Saket.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for all your kind help.

Our client has agreed to install iw_bep in backend now. So will mean SEGW is available in ECC and I can write my services in ECC. Please correct me if am wrong.

Also can someone guide me on how to go about it now. I mean how to get this services registered in Gateway Server?

Regards,

Saket

former_member9607
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saket,

You are right, SEGW will be now available in your backend system where the IW_BEP software component is installed.

To register service, you can find the detailed information at below link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_gateway20sp05/helpdata/en/56/cb9c43787b468b856a321edb63d611/content.htm

Also make sure that you have created system aliases for your Gateway and Back end connection settings.

Regards,

KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a ton Krishna for all your help. i just have one more query here. In case am writing my services in ECC and as you suggested above registering in Gateway , do I import the data structure still in Gateway? We need to send the data to SMP 3.0 . Now if I need to send this data to SMP even if i am creating this data in ECC won't i need these data structures to be imported in Gateway system as a response from ECC.

Please let me know if am wrong in mentioning any thing I have.

Also can i make the communication through Gateway synchronous?

Regards,

Saket.

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Saket,

if you develop your services in ECC based on IW_BEP and publish them as an OData service via the SAP Gateway Hub you don't have to import any data structures in the SAP Gateway Hub.

SMP will consume the OData service published via the SAP Gateway Hub.

The communication through SAP Gateway via DData is always synchronous.

Best Regards,

Andre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Andre. I am sorry i wanted to mention if I can make data exchange asynchronous.

We have some scenarios where data exchange between ECC and SMP has to be asynchronous.

So can we make data exchange asynchronous?

Regards,

Saket.

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Saket,

real asynchrnous calls are not supported by Odata version 2. This is something that is part of the Odata v4 standard which however is not yet implemented in SAP Gateway.

However, if you are using SMP you can use notifications.

Here are some documents.

These documents might need some updates but the bottom line is that you can subscribe to be notified if something changes in the backend and SMP will take care that the correct mobile device is notified.

Maybe your scenario can use notifications to notify the caller that the action has been processed?

Best Regards,

Andre

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. Have picked up a lot through this discussion.

former_member9607
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi sanket,

Answering to your second question,

IW_BEP Component is used to handle the events and actions activated in the SAP system and to publish these events and actions through SAP NetWeaver Gateway.

The BEP functionality enables you to:

• Obtain and publish Business Object Repository (BOR) events without writing code. For example events raised as a result of changes in a business object: because of changes in a sales inventory, an event is raised and published to SAP NetWeaver Gateway.
  • Obtain and send events for SAP Business Workflow, for example, an event is raised for a workflow user decision step.
  • Obtain and send events from your code, for example, events raised as a result of implemented customer code, such as BAdI implementations.

Read more about IW_BEP at:

Business Enablement Provisioning (IW_BEP)

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_gateway20sp08/helpdata/en/a2/15f0b42f2948f6bb9e51f98e8c39e9/content.htm

Development with IW_BEP in SAP Netweaver Gateway

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_gateway20sp05/helpdata/en/64/472d8e21a342ba9d83e403ff4cd9db/content.htm

Hub Odata Channel without IW_BEP

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_gateway20sp06/helpdata/en/32/5895449ac74783a3bd80a782c82f85/content.htm

Regards,

KK

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Saket,

There are several ways to implement a solution.

This is just one of solutions.

App -> SMP -> Gateway -> ERP.  - Gateway is central Hub.

App -> SMP -> ERP(Gateway is on ERP). - Gateway is embedded on ERP.

Steps:

+ Develop OData on ERP.
   (You can develop OData on Gateway and make RFC call to backend. Performance may not good for calling RFC several times)

+ Activate the OData services on Gateway

+ Develop an app using UI5 and consume OData

+ Build app using Cordorva/Kapsel with SMP

+ Configure OData proxy on SMP

Regards, Masa

SAP Customer Experience Group - CEG

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Saket,

There are many deployment options. Even with Central Hub Deployment, there are two options. 1. Development in Gateway 2. Development in Backend(ECC).

In your case, it makes sense to do development in backend. You need IW_BEP wherever you are going to do development. But development on Gateway can be tedious, since you have to create RFCs for all your requirements. Rather I would go for development on backend and install IW_BEP in backend. So your data modeling and service implementation will be in backend (SEGW) and service registration will be in Gateway(Hub) system.

regards

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Thanls for the prompt help. For some reason client wants all development to be not done on ECC. Major reason mentioned behind this is that the ECC is already loaded with may performance intensive activities and hence they dont want to burden it further. So i guess there is no other way out but to develop on Gateway though am still gonna try to convince them.

My question now is " if we decelop on Gateway system, do we need to install IW_BEP in backend?

Also can you throw some light on how do we data modelling and service implemenation in backend and register it in Hub?

Awaiting your response on this.

Regards,

Saket.

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Saket,

I think you misunderstood me. I prefer to do development in backend. (not in Gateway).

Yes, that would require IW_BEP to be in backend.

Data modeling is through SEGW. There are several blogs, available in SCN. Check following blogs.

How to Develop a Gateway Service using Code bas... | SCN

Thanks

Krishna

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I read your reply again and seems like I misunderstood you.

If you do not do Gateway development in ECC, you do NOT require any component to be installed in ECC.