cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI system move to new hardware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I have to move our BI system to a new hardware. I will do this using system copy with R3load as we are going to change from SQL Server 2005 to SQLServer 2008. Source systems and the BI system itself will not change, only the host will be new.

I checked note 886102 - System Landscape Copy for SAP NetWeaver BW and this classifies as

• Scenario B1: You want to copy a single BW system of the group; the source system is not copied.You want to replace a productive BW system [PRD to PRD].

So when i checked the specific steps it says i need to change the hosts in the appropriate RFC destinations.

The way i see it i only have to modify the BI destination in each source system , is this correct?

(No RFC changes in BI system itself, as the source systems remain unchanged, right?)

Thank you in advance for the clarification

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yavor

On the same SAP Note 886102 - check the phase 6
Final Activities in Target Environment

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

the RSLOGSYSDEST contains the RFC for Myself system, this one doesn't have a host entry (it's just empty) in SM59 so i guess it will need to be reactivated after the copy

This is done in rsa1 - Source system-BI - activate, isn't it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I usually use the "restore" option when I do a system copy, but you can also just go to the RFC destination in SM59 and maintain the password there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you should only have to change the RFC destinations that use the old/new server name.  Other things that come to mind are load distribution in SMLG and RZ12, op modes (RZ03), jobs (if using fixed execution targets) and, most importantly, the saplogon menus for your users.  I always use a DNS alias, so that I only have to redirect that and all users get the change immediately.

One other thing I want to bring up is, that as long as you don't have a Java stack, you don't need to use R3load.  You can do a backup/restore or file copy, and the SQL 2005 database will be automatically upgraded to SQL 2008 when you attach it.  You might want to run the db copy completion from SWPM after attaching to make sure everything is in order.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions,

It's ABAP only, i am not much familiar with MS SQL but i will do it with backup restore if the db will be automatically upgraded

Correct me if i am wrong but DB copy completion will not work on NW 7.0 EHP1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been using it since the days of 4.x, so I am fairly certain it will work.  You might not need it, since your SID doesn't change, but it doesn't hurt to run it anyway.  It will make sure all db users and permissions are in place, recreate stored procedures, etc.

I just remembered one more thing.  All passwords in RFC destinations might become invalid with the move.  Just go through the security tab for each destination and re-enter the password, if it shows up as "invalid".