Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addition of New Coding Mask - impacts

sudeep_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I'm new to PS module and have only basic knowledge about this module. I have a query related to the coding mask.

My customer uses a coding mask like ABC-000.00.00.00 (ABC is the Project coding key). Now they want to introduce a new coding mask with 4 digit after the coding key like DEF-0000.00.00.00. There are many projects in the Production system with coding key ABC, but no projects with DEF.

If we create a new coding mask DEF as above, what are the impacts? Whether the user will be able to use the old ABC projects as well as DEF projects? will there be any inconsistencies? what are the aspects we need to take care while introducing the new coding mask?

Kindly let me know the impacts. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sudeep.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My customer uses a coding mask like ABC-000.00.00.00 (ABC is the Project coding key). Now they want to introduce a new coding mask with 4 digit after the coding key like DEF-0000.00.00.00.

Yes you can create new coding mask with KEY DEF (In PS , we called it PRJID)

Use Tcode OPSJ for creating new ID and mask.

If we create a new coding mask DEF as above, what are the impacts?

There will be no impact on existing system, Coding mask is configured for creating Project starting with PRJID as per your coding mask.

So if you wana create like with  DEF then you must configured coding mask for key/PRJID DEF. So whenever you create new project with DEF , system will first check whether DEF PRJID exists in Coding mask list, if yes then it proceed.

Whether the user will be able to use the old ABC projects as well as DEF projects? will there be any inconsistencies?

User can use old coding mask also. System will pick coding mask as per your Project ID (DEF in your case). There is no any problem with that.

what are the aspects we need to take care while introducing the new coding mask?

Value for PRJID field must be unique. Coding mask can be upto 24 chars. You can create a mask for every key you want to use in project coding.The following characters are available for editing:

X for alphanumeric characters

0 for numeric characters

Regards

Shishir

sudeep_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Shishir,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Regards,

Sudeep.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

sudeep_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the response. Your answers were really helpful.

Regards,

Sudeep.

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have to be careful of one more thing

If in your config OPSK Edit is not tciked then there is a possibility that someone may have created a project in PRD with DEF or starting with D. If that is the case then your new mask will fail.

So check in the PRD system if there is any project starting with D, or DE, or DEF before implementing this

viren

sudeep_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Viren,

I checked OPSK, Edit is NOT ticked. So i have to be careful to check any project in Production system as you mentioned. Thank you for the valuable info.

Now I have one more doubt. If i have a coding mask ABC, can't I create new key AXY?? In the above message, you have mentioned we need to check for projects stating with D as well, if the key is DEF. so in this case, there are projects starting A. So I should not create coding mask starting with A ? (like AXY)

Regards,

Sudeep.

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes that would be dictated by fixing string lenth in OPSK

fields PL and SL

viren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The edit indicator (in OPSK) >You use this indicator to determine that only coded project numbers may be used within the Project System. Means you can create Project for which Project Coding mask is available. (e.g. if coding mask is available for key DEF, then only you can create Project start with DEF).

Ideally, this should be ticked so that no one can create Project without defined key in coding mask.

You can create AXY also. Its not a problem.  Our expert Virendra means, if the edit indicator is not ticked and you want to create coding mask for a key say DEF, then in this case you have to check before creating mask, is there already any project exists with this DEF key or not. Because edit is not ticked. So someone by mistake can create.

Regards

Shishir

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Shishir

good answer

viren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudeep,

There will not be any inconsistencies. Please go ahead. There will not be any impact on old projects.

Regards,

Amit

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudeep,

New coding mark will initiate a new series of project with prefix DEF, it will not impact/interfere with the existing mask ABC. Users shall be able to create/change/delete projects wit old masking.

Coding mask is generally a way to define a standard identification of projects.

Its up to the company's business decision that how the want to define the nomenclature(mask) of projects.

Example: D-XXXX-XXXX-XXX-XX

In above masking which I have defined for 😧 Dry dock projects. D is a prefix for dry-dock followed by XXXX (4 character ) for plant then XXXX , 4 character for profit center-XXX ,XX are the running number.

Hope you are clear on it.

Regards

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can make new coding mask as per your requirement there there will no no issue on existing structure with old coding mask. If you don't wan't to use in future the you can lock the old one .

Regards,

mukesh