cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Warehouse Number For Multiple Stores(Storage Loc)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have around 10 physical warehouses in the same premises , for Eg , Multiple Stores in a Trading Center,

All this stores belongs to single plant, so now to map this scenario , i am planning to create 10 Storage Locations and a Single Warehouse Number..

But physically each store has different different products stored .

If i create in single warehouse number the only problem i could see , while doing transfers from ONE store to another store

for SL01 to SL02 - movement type 311, system creates a posting change in the destination there is a possibility of making put away into a different racks(storage types which does not belong to to the store(Storage Location ) since it will show every storage type in the list.

Based on SAP Recommendation link given below,Using Single Warehouse Number For the Entire Warehouse.

Warehouse Structure in the Warehouse Management System - Warehouse Management Guide - SAP Library

What is the best way to handle this scenario, should i create 20 warehouses separately or create 1 single warehouse to assign all 10 Storage Locations.

in the later case one single warehouse number , and multiple storage types = store(warehouse No) number

Please assist.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohamed,

It  is very difficult to suggest whether u should go for 1 warehouse or multiple warehouse. Decision is depend on the warehouse business process (Goods Receipt / Goods Issue) the physical picking process the size of the store if from operational perspective u don't have any issue then u can go for 20 warehouse but then u have to extend the material view also for all 20 warehouse so from technical viewpoint maintenance of data also you need to take into consideration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Warehouse is not dedicated to any article , any material will be stored in any warehouse based on the availability so i will extend all materials to all warehouse.

Since the the warehouses are located in same premises , feeling that creating multiple warehouses may increase transactions for Eg.

During MB1B 311 system will create two transfer requirements and user has to create Two Transfer Orders every time while transferring In Case i have multiple warehouse.

If i have Storage Type = Warehouse Number, then it is very easy as it will become internal warehouse transfer .

But if i must restrict some how the user should not be able to select other storage types belonging to other physical warehouse.

if there should be any way we can restrict the selection of storage type in the T.O

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In warehouse management it is ok to connect multiple storage location to single warehouse. In your case you can do same. In SAP WM there is concept of 'storage location reference', for each storage location you can create on reference and then assign that reference in search strategy. So, system will always pick storage types mentioned against storage location reference for putway or picking. But yes, manually (LT01) you can transfer material from one storage type to another irrespective of storage location.

BR

Kamal

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohamed,

Before i answer you question i have a query, as you mentioned that "any material will be stored in any warehouse"  and the second point is "restrict the selection of storage type in the T.O"

So at the time of put away materiel x is stored in the three store (three different storage type) based on the availability of empty bin  at the time of put away.Now at the time of removal (Picking TO creation) you want to restrict the selection of storage type. Don't you think in this case you will lose some order or else you have to keep a track of pending requirement and create multiple transfer order individually from store A then Store B and so on as stock might be available in all the 20 store or could be in one store also.

In my opinion here your activity should be,Restrict the Store A operator not to touch the stock which are available in Store B. I can think something like this  One plant, One Sloc and one warehouse number(provided there is no any financial requirement to report the detail store wise or so on)  to all my 20 store and then i will assign a store wise storage type to all my 20 store along with picking area for storage bin. Define a queue in Mobile data entry based on the source storage type / Picking area / Destination storage type  combination. At the time of Transfer order creation split the Transfer order based on Source storage type  by using the above steps you can restrict the user to not to touch the stock which are in different store  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing the Thread.. Created Each Warehouse Building as Storage Types and assigned all storage locations into a single plant.

Thanks All

Answers (0)